Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deformed Parts

Deformed Parts

Current Creo doesn't have the ability to deform a plastic or rubber part when it is assembled. The use case is for o'rings, rubber parts that are assembled with a different form than it is modeled. A round o'ring can be assembled in a square or rectangular grove.

5 Comments

This will be very interesting feature to have it as considerable O-Ring applications are non-circular. I'm not sure how it planned or works, still I hope to see this being implemented and help in finding the right O-Ring with the allowable stretch. I'm exited to see this implemented and benefit the PTC community. Thanks.

There are many used cases where O-rings are assembled in a non-circular shape in the top level assembly and Creo needs to introduce a new functionality which supports this used case or can enhance the existing flexibility option. Thanks!

Pearl

One way to do this now is to create the original o-ring shape then create the other shapes over the top of it (do not reference the other shapes).  Group each shapes features.  Suppress all as-installed groups.  Go to model properties and define flexiblility. Select the features tab and add each group. Save model with only the original (drawing) shape active.

When assembling the model into an assembly you will be asked to confirm using flexibility.  In the varied items dialog you can suppress the original group and unsuppress the correct shape group.  You can also add any dimensions needed to the varied items to get the exact shape needed for the current assembly.

Sapphire II

Flexibility should be able to do it at the assembly. The centerline of the o-ring shape should be able to be mapped to the centerline of a groove in another part in the assembly.

Make an o-ring with 2 circular shapes. Shape 1 is the unrestrained shape of the o-ring. Shape 2 is the cross section diameter of the o-ring. The shape 1 centerline needs to be defined as a flexible component and then that shape should be able to be mapped to the desired shape of the groove.

I asked this in a NX internet forum and the answer from their long-time CAD guru was that it can do it exactly as I stated with the 2 shapes.

Having to 'predefine' the shapes in the component part is not the way to go as you don't know ahead of time what the groove shape may be and in our case, the o-ring itself is in a library that the users cannot modify.

Amethyst

#Flexibility exists allready