cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Make Arbitrary Changes to my Refs, Dims, etc. (was: Leave Things I Have Typed In Alone)

Don't Make Arbitrary Changes to my Refs, Dims, etc. (was: Leave Things I Have Typed In Alone)

For example:

(WF2)

I create a hole, a distance from a pair of datum planes. I type in the values for these distances. I change the location of the hole, perhaps I create a new datum plane. I remove the old datum plane - the typed-in distance to that old datum plane disappears. OK, I can kind of see that, but why does the typed-in distance to the other datum plane (which I have not changed at all) change to some random number? Surely it would be common sense to assume that the hole is at the original distances away from the replaced datum planes. I typed these numbers in for a reason. What is worse, there is no indication that the second number has been changed at all, so, unless I specifically check, I may not know it has changed.

And:

I create an axis normal to a plane and through a point. I want to change the point, so I remove the point reference and point to another one. No problem, until I notice that the 'Normal' constraint has mysteriously changed to 'Through'. Again, I chose 'Normal for a reason.

There are others. These are just a representative sample.

3 Comments

I voted for this idea, but I think the title doesn't sum up the change you are suggesting.  Maybe, "Don't change my references, dimensions, etc."

Participant

I think this can be applied across the board in many similar situations. For example, if you remove an assembly reference and add a new one, the part you are assembling often moves. It should be assumed that the assembled part stays put when you are changing its assembly. Similarly when you are redefining a datum plane, or any feature that has dimensional values governing its location, the feature should not move when you change its references (unless of course the references force it to change its position).

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived