cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Easier model variation management (Solidworks ConfigurationManager equivalent)

Easier model variation management (Solidworks ConfigurationManager equivalent)

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Towing and recovery equipment (car carriers, wreckers and so on.) I am a design engineer that designs and models our products for in-house or customer validation.

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?
We are running 8.0.3.0

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
We are trying to switch from Solidworks CAD software to all PTC owned software. We are having a difficult time giving up our ability to control product variations and alternate position that we could easily control with the Solidworks ConfigurationManager. Family Tables in Creo does what we want but the forced action of creating new part numbers for every product variation and alternate position of a top-level item is causing a problem for us. An example: we have a top-level assembly that has hydraulic cylinders. We have to verify the design by extending or retracting a cylinder (alternate position). It is easy to control that with a family table but the new position is considered a new part number (which it is not a new part, just an alternate position). The way a family table drives top-level and lower-level items is counterproductive to validating designs.

Also, if you were to make family tables better, give a family table cell the ability to have drop down abilities if a family table member column is referencing an item that has lower-level family table members. Also, don't limit the length of a family table name.

It is all hard to explain but I'll boil it down to this: look at the Solidworks ConfigurationManager then, make Creo Family Tables just like that. You would have more happy customers and probably bring in more customers.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
Product variants and alternate positions.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Better and faster productivity. We can design a full product using Solidworks with production drawings in 1.5 hours. With Creo, at least a full workday to do the same thing.

Did I mention do it like Solidworks? It sure would be cool if you did.

4 Comments
kdirth
20-Turquoise

I have not used ConfigurationManager and I am far from an expert on Pro/Program.  But it may be able to do some of what you are trying to do.  I have seen some models with Pro/Program that, when manually regenerated, give you the option to enter new values.  You can also create multiple constraint sets when assembling components and control which one is use in upper-level assemblies with flexibility.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @ryanmmill for your idea and welcome to the PTC Community. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I agree.

@kdirth Effectively we can use multiple constraint sets inside a family table, but again, this is far from an obvious and easy method to achieve the desired goals. The same could be said about trying to automate things in Pro/Program. The "interface" is very oudated, and not very user friendly even for users with programming experience. I never worked with Solidworks but from the videos I've seen on youtube  on "configurations" it's a lot quicker and a lot easier. Regarding the other criticism of family tables not automatically allowinf on each cell to select valid text with the name of a lower-level family table instance, it's something that could also be improved, or better yet, incorporated in a new easier way of doing configurations, à la solidworks.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Have you reviewed PTCs Option Modeler.

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/creo/options-modeler