cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to make a layer status of a drawaing view dependent to rest of the drawing

Easy way to make a layer status of a drawaing view dependent to rest of the drawing

Current Situation:

In a drawing it is pretty easy to make a drawing view independent from the layer status of the drawing. Just by clicking on the arrow above the layer tree and  selecting the drawing view it changes to the independent status. Sometimes this happens by mistake and the user does not know the reason for the different display situations inside the drawing. To be aware of that it would be a good solution to have a confirmation message box like it is when it should be switched to dependent (see the description below).

The other way around is more complicated. First the view needs to be selected than the user has to find the correct menu and move down to the last option in the list "Drawing Dependent". Inside the upcoming message box the user needs to confirm that he really want to make the view dependent to the drawing.

(Click on the picture to get a full-size view)

drw_view_independet.png

Improvement:

An improvement would be to be able to switch the drawing view back to the dependent status the same way as he made it independent before. Just click on the arrow above the layer tree, select the drawing view and it will be switched to dependent. (In both direction there should show up a confirmation message box to avoid status change by mistake)

(Click on the picture to get a full-size view)

drw_view_dependet.png

3 Comments
StephenWilliams
22-Sapphire III

I agree it is odd that there is a confirmation to set it back to dependent on the drawing after going through all the steps to make it dependent and no confirmation to make a view independent of the drawing layers and it is very easy to do accidentally.

Just a side note, you could make a mapkey that would make the switch back to dependent very quick and easy (as a work-around)

OliverHeins
12-Amethyst

Thank you for this work-around. In my case one of the main issues is that the people don't know the reason for the different display situation and call me for a solution. In that case a mapkey would only be a small help because if they don't know whats going on they don't know that the solution would be to use such a mapkey.

A confirmation window would avoid the mistakable switch to the independent status.

StephenWilliams
22-Sapphire III

Yes, I agree completely. Too many users don't realize what is happening when they use the view selection arrow in the layers.