Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examine Construction of Features Without Regeneration

Examine Construction of Features Without Regeneration

(WF2)

When I am working on a modification to an existing model, whether it be one of mine or someone else's, I frequently want to figure out how a particular feature was created, what its references are, how it was dimensioned, etc.

Let's use a Datum Plane as an example:

I want to move a feature, called 'Essential_Bump_On_The_Side', from its current position to a different position, further along the side. I also know that 'Essential_Bump_On_The_Side' is referenced to a datum plane I have called  'Bump_Location_plane' in the model tree. Thing is, I can't remember whether 'Bump_Location_Plane' is referenced from the standard datum plane 'Front' or from my other datum plane 'Offset_From_Front'. So, I RMB, Edit Definition and I can see it is referenced to 'Offset_From_Front'. However, whether I decide to Green Tick out of it or Red Cross out of it, after the apparently endless series of 'Do you Really Want to Cancel?' messages, the whole sorry rat's nest of a model regenerates (remember, it's one of mine...). In some cases, that can take minutes.

Now comes the idea:

How about if we had a third option alongside the Green Tick and Red Cross, one that is greyed out the instant any value is changed, but is available as long as we are just looking. This third option could be called 'Revert' or something of the sort, and would simply put everything back as if I had never pressed Edit Definition.

I realise that I can control the regeneration behaviour with Config Options, but this idea would give a greater level of precision to the control, and would save lots of my time.

Regards,

John

4 Comments
Moonstone

I would recommend to use the Reference Viewer!

If I'm not totally wrong, this tool came with WF4.

So I'd say, this idea has already been realized.

I think you are referring to the Global Reference Viewer, is that correct?

I have that in WF2. I have to say, I don't find it all that helpful. I may be missing a trick or two!

John

Moonstone

I'm not very sure, but I think it's the Global Reference Viewer.

In my opinion it's useful - I agree with you, first you need to spend some time with it to get used to it!

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived