cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PTC Community email address has changed to community-mailer@ptc.com. Learn more.

Flatten and/or Unbend Helical Sweeps in Sheetmetal Parts

0 Kudos

Flatten and/or Unbend Helical Sweeps in Sheetmetal Parts

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Industry: OEM Food Production Equipment

Role: Mechanical Engineer

Stakeholders: Customers, Management, Production Team

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Model a formed auger flight as a sheetmetal part and use the Flat Pattern or Unbend feature to create a Flat of that formed part. The Flat would provide accurate dimensions for the raw material to be cut to prior to forming.

Example of formed sheet metal "auger flight":

Shawn_S_0-1663177087533.png

4. What is the use case for your organization?

Engineering designs auger flights in formed state and Creo flattens the formed part yielding a flat pattern for use in raw material cutting.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
It would prevent mistakes between formed geometry and required flat geometry. It would allow formed modeled part to be automatically flattened and sent to manufacturing for cutting. It would make swept helical sheet metal parts more cost effective.

4 Comments
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I am not familiar with augers by any means but I am familiar with various other sheet metal forming operations and with Creo sheet metal.

For your case, I would tend to believe that if you modeled these as a surface model (instead of sheet metal) and then used the flatten quilt option, you would get a relatively accurate flat. You could use thicken to get a solid model also.

The issue with creo sheet metal is that it is mostly setup for press brake type operations where you are bending well past yield and it adds a calculatable bend allowance aka stretch (reference machinery handbook or google) and with some trial and error a user can determine the proper k-value (or y-value- same but different) for the bending operation tools and materials used.  

StephenW_0-1663179857914.png

If I have misunderstood or misinterpreted your idea, I apologize. 

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @ME_CADADMIN for your idea and @StephenW for the discussion. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

ME_CADADMIN
12-Amethyst

@StephenW in our application we are not forming the material past yield point, I understand that this would be more difficult to model. With our application, when the flight is formed from the flat state to the formed state the OD and ID both shrink. I am sure this is a common phenomena in flight forming so this Idea would be to capture that within the Features. The shrinkage is not much in our application, but as the pitch increases I believe the diameter reduces more and more, requiring the flat pattern diameters to increase to achieve the final formed diameters. Here are exaggerated pictures of what I am attempting to explain.

Shawn_S_1-1663252571244.png

Shawn_S_3-1663252646748.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I understand and it makes sense.

With press brake bending, there are formulas you can use to determine the deformation and that is how PTC (and the fabrication world in general) are able to provide the flat state easily. 

If you have any data on how PTC would calculate the deformation, you may want to include the information (attachment, website links, standards) to aid PTC. Software people are NOT manufacturing experts and definitely need help getting that sort of detailed information.