cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PTC Community email address has changed to community-mailer@ptc.com. Learn more.

Improve sketched spline manipulation

Improve sketched spline manipulation

This idea is to provide some level of drag handles to edit feature at the modeling level rather than just the sketch level.

With any luck, some clever PTC engineer can see a simple way to implement this to get splines into the 21st century in Creo.

The idea is to use the modify sliders available inside sketcher to the modeling level so that edit feature would allow selecting multiple dimensions and applying them to a slider dialog.  For consistency, the same "modify" dialog from sketcher would provide consistency.

There are a lot of other improvements that should be made to splines but these things seem to get little traction within PTC.  This feature is so outdated that core Creo is almost unusable for any level of industrial design.  Manipulating splines today is almost a requirement in all but the most basic engineering solutions.

Please see the video to understand why this is so critical.  We need to be able to manipulate sketched splines in-context, meaning modeling mode and associative to it's child features.

2 Comments
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

And before you learn this on your own, I've been given a very long explanation on why you cannot set the curvature dimensions equal inside the sketch.  Again, the explanation pretty much read: "...this is the way they did it and this is why it doesn't work as you think it should.".  This is why I have some insight to how engrained this feature is within the code.  Bottom line, to the best of my recollection, was that an internal dependency to set just the curvature dimensions equal was keeping this from behaving as expected.  An SPR was filed since this behavior is not in keeping with the rest of sketcher's intent - SPR 4869605

In the image below, when I tried setting the two curvature dimensions as equal, it went back and assumed an angle dimension even though that wasn't my selection.  If this is the first equal selection reference, then it warns you of an invalid selection in the message bar.  Somehow I think there is a bug here where the equal assumes the angle from a previous equal setting on the two angle (E1). 

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.