cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Improve user speed using Sketch fillets

Improve user speed using Sketch fillets

Issue: I suggest that there is a need to improve user productivity using sketch fillets.

Problem: When needed to make tangent arcs to lines, the user normally draws the lines first, and then applies fillets between the line pairs to obtain the tangent arcs. When the user only needs 1 or 2 fillets, this workflow does not need too much time. But when the user needs to draw several fillets, and specially when the fillets have all the same radius, this workflow is not the best one, from the user productivity point of view, since after selecting all the line pairs, and the fillet is constructed, the user will have to re-specify constraitns, to guarantee that those fillets have all the same radius.

Solution: To improve sketched fillets drawing workflow, I suggest that should be introduced a new fillet command, where the user pre-specifiies the radius value, and after only is asked to select vertices between connected lines, instead of selecting two line pairs. This improves speed, by selecting falf the inputs, and by do not needing to re-constraint the fillet arcs to have all the same radius as needed. I guess this is the Solidworkds workflow, and it is indeed a time saver for the user, since this is such a common sketch drawing task.

Curiosity: Creo constraitns vertices for sketch mirror operations (instead of constraining the line entities instead of their vertices), contrary to Solidworks, but uses line entities for the fillet operation, when the vertices approach is the faster alternative for the user, when Solidworks uses vertices, as the better approach. Creo's approach for the fillet operation is only better when the lines to be filleted are not already connected by a vertex, so, it could keep both methods as different commands, or modify the existing command to allow both aproaches, filletingbetween non parallel lines, or filleting the line connected vertices.

Thank you.

2 Comments
kdirth
20-Turquoise

I have always been told that fillets and chamfers should be left out of sketcher as much as possible.  This should create a more stable and regeneration friendly model.

From the Commandments of Pro/E (Creo): "Thou shall avoid creating rounds and chamfers in sketcher, as they should be added as separate features, when possible."

That being said, I do like the suggestion to allow for picking of vertices for these sketcher operations for the times when it is better to add them in the sketch.  And something as simple as holding Ctrl or Alt should make subsequent entities the same size for both methods.

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I was specifically mentioning that the use case is mostly when the user wants to have farcs tangent to lines, not necessarily to obtain the "fillet" geometry that we should obtain with the Round command. I know that an alternative to the use of the fillet command to draw tangent arcs to existing lines, is to construct a line, switch to drawing a tangent arc, switch back to draw another line, etc, etc, and when drawing each arc, to try to draw it with the same radius to be automatically constrained to the previous one. This approach takes even more time, in my humble oppinion, that to draw the profile with lines only first, and then applying fillets where we do want tangent arcs in the geometry. Another alternative, is to draw circles first, then draw the Tanget lines, using the command specifically for that, and after applying all tangent lines, to trim the circles to convert them to arcs, removing the excess geometry. This workaround takes even more time, although it's easier to constraint the arcs to have the same radius. With the existing fillet command in the sketcher, we cannot obtain a single automatic constraint if we want the tanget arcs all with the same radius. I just saw a video of someone drawing in Solidworkds, and with the ease of use of the fillet command in their sketch, and I wondered why we could not achieve the same ease of use, for something so simple and that would allow us to gain a lot of productivity using the Sketch in Creo.