cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Improved method for splitting family tables

Improved method for splitting family tables

There should be an easier way to split up family tables. I know it's possible, but it's very delicate and procedure intense. One wrong move and you have to start over or you've broken your models. This holds especially true within a Windchill connected system. It's an old topic, but I couldn't find a similar idea so I'm posting it.

Requesting native and easy of use ability for:

• Splitting 1 family table into multiple, separate tables
    • I would even be OK with a parent/child setup if the workspaces didn't have to pull in the parent generic.
  • Divorcing instances and making them their own components
  • Has to work with Windchill functionality

Our use case: Bolts. Somewhere back in time a family table of simple bolts got created. Then a material got added, then more lengths, then added features. Now the table sits at over 7000 instances, and it's not alone. Other similar tables got created. We've since tried to reduce this habit and start making multiple family tables by unique features, materials, etc. Though it doesn't help us fix the old bad habits. Breaking up that 7000 is going to be painful, and when that part is used in almost every design it's critical that it happens without a problem.

Today if someone does a modelcheck regen all levels or pull "ALL" into their workspace, their workspace can jump to 10-30,000 components in a matter of minutes which slows workspace display and hurts performance.

2 Comments
T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

It should be possible to have directly an excel file. At the moment creo writes all families in excel, instead of having an excel file as a support. Sometimes user, needs to have excel files, with some formulas, filters, colors to better organize the families. Right now when we restart creo, all of this have gone!

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.