Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep filesize small when using True Type Fonts (TTFs) for TEXT in DRAWINGs

Keep filesize small when using True Type Fonts (TTFs) for TEXT in DRAWINGs

When TTFs are used in a Creo Parametric DRAWING, the filesize for the drawing inflates tremendously.

For example, in a drawing FORMAT (.frm; single sheet, no views) I drew, when using PTC’s own “filled font” for all the text (general notes, headings, etc), the filesize was 124 KB. Just by selecting all the text and changing the font to Arial TTF made the filesize jump to almost 3 MB!

We should not have to live with large drawing filesizes just because TTFs are used in a drawing.

4 Comments
Emerald I

You most likely have "stroke all fonts" turned on.  If you set the drawing to "use TTF", the filesize will be much smaller, probably smaller than the original.

Tom, I am referring to the size of a Creo native .frm drawing FORMAT file (not linked to any 3D, no views, just text notes using Arial TTF with not more than 1000 characters in total, a few simple symbols and lines sketched within drawing mode).

Shouldn't the "stroke all fonts" and "use TTF" options only affect the filesize of an exported PDF file?

My aim is to get PTC to better support TTFs in their drawings so that the effect of using TTFs on filesizes of their own native files are minimized.

The impression I get from the current filesize behaviour (as well as from other deficiencies I've identified and requested enhancements for) is that TTF support has been crudely patched into Creo.

Emerald I

Ah, sorry.  I misunderstood.  I've run into this so much with PDFs and plot files that I thought you were talking about the filesize when outputting from a drawing.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived