Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave name what's typed when saving step file

Leave name what's typed when saving step file

When saving a step file, if you type in the new name first (image 1), then select step file (image 2), the file name switches back model_name (image 3). Then you have to go back and select the file (image 4) and retype the name you want the step file to be named in the first place (image 5). Please correct so that the file name you type in for new name stays the same if you type it in and then change file types.

save_stp1.jpg  save_stp2.jpg  save_stp3.jpg save_stp4.jpg  save_stp5.jpg

***Added 12-JUL-2013***

This same is also true when you are creating pdf files, too.

Thanks, Dale

***Added 18-MAR-2014***

Also true for creating .stl files.

Thanks, Dale

6 Comments
Dale_Rosema
22-Sapphire I

Or swap the "Type" and "New Name" positions since logical progress is to fill in the boxes from top down.

dnordin
14-Alexandrite

Wasn't the reason behind the addition of the suffix to support exporting the assembly in STEP (and others) format where you wish to create separate STEP files for each object, and since you can have bracket.asm and bracket.prt there would need to be some way to distinguish between the part and assembly files?

In the case of multiple individual STEP files, is the only concern here the name of the top level STEP file, and you don't care if the rest of the STEP files have a suffix added?

The work around is to select the type first, and then enter the name.  As a matter of fact, if you enter the type first, the name fills in for you (with the suffix), and you only need to delete the suffix.  Seems like that could be easier than typing a very long name first.

Dale_Rosema
22-Sapphire I

But I don't want the filled in name (whether part or asm) because our part names differ from our model names (it was that way when I got here ). So if I want a .stp file for part ABCD which is model 1234.prt, I type in ABCD in the new name box and then select .stp for the type and it goes to 1234_prt.stp instead of ABCD.stp which is what I typed in the first place (i.e. it overwrites what I manually put in the new name box.). I hope that better explains it. This is also true for .pdf's and .stl's as noted in the suggestion too.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged

mfischer
17-Peridot
Status changed to: Under Consideration

I am reviewing this request with development to see if we can make the entered name persistent when changing format type.  It seems logical that if you have entered the desired name that it should be preserved in the New File Name field.  Based on the layout of the dialog, your defined workflow should not clear the entered name based on the format selected.

Will review with the UX team and development to see if there is an ability to address this issue.

Regards,

Mark Fischer

Sr. Director, CAD Product Management

mfischer
17-Peridot
Status changed to: Implementation In Progress

I wanted to give an update on this 'idea' request.  I am happy to say we are updating this limitation to preserve the entered file name when user changes the desired format.  This means if a user enters a custom name and then selects a format, we will not switch back to the Model_Name.

The planned implementation will be in Creo 4.0 M150, Creo 6.0.6.0 and Creo 7.0.3.0.

Regards,

Mark Fischer

Sr. Director, CAD Product Management