Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License server on a virtual server

License server on a virtual server

It should be possible to operate the license server on a virtual server!

For security reasons, we operate our license server on a virtual machine.

This is not supported by PTC!

The passwords can not be resolved to a network address of a virtual area.

Nevertheless, there is a solution:

- Manually configure a network card and of old PC, which is scrapped assign a MAC-ID

- Retrieve license to this MAC-ID

There should be a supportete solution!

11 Comments
Tanzanite

Stefan, we moved our license server on a virtual machine since March 2009.

Emerald III

Stefan,

if I understand you well, you are complaining that PTC license management department is not able to generate license file for virtual machine MAC address generated automatically by virtualization software. If you set virtual machine MAC address manually to MAC address of physical network card, then PTC license management department is able to generate license file and you can install and run PTC Creo Elements/Direct license manager in virtual machine.

Am I right ?

Martin Hanak

Participant

Hello Martin

This is precisely the problem!

Kind regards, Stefan

Gravel

Gentlemen,

Be careful with statements about moving licenses to a virtual platform.

There is a big difference between "what is possible" and "what is legal".

A legal way to run a License Server on a virtual platform is:

Use a "real piece of HW that has a MAC" - e.g. a USB WLAN-Stick

Regards,

Max

Tanzanite

This discussion is about another PTC SW (Arbortext), but I think could be useful also for Creo.

It talks about node-locked licenses.

Licensing and Remote Desktop Services in 5.3 vs 6.1

Participant

It is not my intention to defraud PTC, we need a secure licensing with virtual servers!

Gravel

This discussion is about the "PTC Creo Elements Direct License Server"  AKA "Mels" - which is exclusively used

for the PTC Creo Elements Direct (=CoCreate) products.

Gravel

Hello @ all,

So to keep this short, it is already possible and certified to run MEls on VMWare under certain conditions. So I just looked in the MELs Quick installation guide to see what is possible there and what do we find on Page 13 section "PTC Creo Elements/Direct License Server system requirements" - a list of supported opperating systems and a dedicated section for virtual machines saying:

PTC Creo Elements/Direct Licence Server has been tested and certified on VMWare with a USB LAN network connector.

Other virtual machines like Windows VirtualPC have not been tested or certified. For more information on setting up and using virtual machines, see Configure Passthrough-VMDirectPtah in VMWARE ESX/ESXi for RAID Cards, HBAs, and USB Devices and Using the PTC License Server on a Virtual Machine on page 87, respectively.

Regarding the Hardware ID, the document states, Passwords are supported on valid hardware IDs, such as LAN-cards with manufacturer assigned MACAddress or a serial MSU security device provided by PTC.

Hope this clarifies some questions.

Emerald III

Hello Thomas,

please can you tell me where can I get documents mentioned in your text ? Is it available on installation media of Creo/Elements Direct ?

Martin Hanak

Gravel

Hi Martin,

Please reach out to me via E-Mail, then I can send you the PDF Dokumnet which is included in the Intsallation file as documentation. Unfortunatelly it is not separate on the installation media, only after installing the software.

Thomas

Emerald III

Thomas,

thanks for your offer. In the mean time I already obtained this PDF file.

Martin Hanak