Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make config.pro and drawing option files embeded in Creo Parametric

Make config.pro and drawing option files embeded in Creo Parametric

For current functionality, when start Creo Parametric, It will upload config.pro/config.sup file from local disk, with different order from multiple places. The drawing option file is specified by drawing_setup_file option. To know about all of these configuration settings, it takes a long time to learn and remember these for junior users.  Sometimes user make mistaken since they start Creo Parametric by different shortcut and don't upload the related configuration file.

I think PTC should change this behavior the same as other generic software. Make config.pro and drawing option files embeded in Creo Parametric instead of uloading from local disk each times , which will make our engineers work more easy. Spend less time doing configuration.

6 Comments
gzhou-2

This is a very good idea. It will be a big change for Creo. If you can pay addtional money, PTC GS can build a script for starting Creo. It will copy the config.pro file from one specific server automatically each time when starting Creo via a customized batch file.

TomD.inPDX
Peridot

Technically it does this by reading the default config.pro if you don't redirect it with shortcut folders.  It is just a PITA to manage.  Maybe an option in config.pro to force "only read default" (default being the user defined changes go to the default file) would be nice to have.

sdesaulles
Visitor

I think you need a much cheaper CAD package to operate in the way you want.  When you buy into the Creo / PTC way, you opt for coplexity of UI.  But yes, way overdue, and stunning it wasn't included in the Wildfire update never mind Creo.

drush

They could still allow the option to read and write configuration files, but the configuration should remain  embedded in each users installation of Creo and not rely on the system finding a file on startup.  If you wanted to make mass changes to a config file you could read in new configuration settings or if you wanted to write your config settings for someone else to read you could.  The glaring stupidity of PTC is absolutely mind blowing.  They couldn't figure this out all by themselves?

dgschaefer
Topaz II

Config files in Proe / Creo, though perhaps archaic, are a powerful tool for managing company wide standards.  Try doing that in SW which keeps all your settings internally somehow.  You cannot.  You can set them at install, but the user then has full control, there is no way to remotely configure the software.

I use this all the time for maintaining company standards, rolling out mapkeys and global enhancements.  With SW I can't even make sure that everyone has access to our template parts, let alone make sure they are using them by default.

I'm allfor making the current system more intuitive and easier to manage, but don't move away from the config files.

PTCModerator
Topaz I
Status changed to: Acknowledged