Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make it easier to replace out imported merge/inheritance models

Make it easier to replace out imported merge/inheritance models

When in a part model there are many instances when it is necessary to change a part model that was inserted into it.

The only way that I see this possible at this point is to delete the original inserted inheritance model and bring in a new model.

It almost looks like you should be able to do this, but you can't.

The pattern of replacement should be

1) Edit Definition; to modify the inserted part

2) Select No when prompted to retrieve the existing model

3) There is a select a model prompt which you can browse to the appropriate model location

Replace.JPG

4) If you replace the existing name with a * the needed model appears.

5) When selecting OPEN the replacement action fails

If I understand correctly this does work when replacing Family Table parts.

I would like to be able to do a merge replacement for all part models.

6 Comments
Amethyst

There are 2 reasons that I am making this request, the most obvious is that if you do a direct replacement there should be a better chance of getting through this composite part without reference failures.  The biggest reason is that I would like to insert the modified part into a the previously made die without the new reference model being rejected.

Alexandrite

I am really hoping for this basic request to be implemented.  I am tired of my coworkers saying this would be so easy to do in SolidWorks, and it is  embarrassing for our product to not be able to do this.  Then I have to tell them that you can try creating a temporary FT in order to replace then remove/Delete the FT.  Really?!?  I am glad there is sort of a work around, but it is really stupid that the system cannot figure this out on its own without having to play these silly games!

Amethyst

Lawrence:

I don't believe I've considered using a temporary Family Table.  That certainly is a work around to make a special row with the new revision but you should be able to at least change the model's name.

I agree that this is a very basic need.  Changes are an every day occurrence; you shouldn't have to destroy your model tree because a modification is needed.

Alexandrite

For us the reason we usually have to change the base model is because we will do a save as to make a different variation.  This happens a lot because our company does a lot of customizing for our customers so we may have a lot of variations.

I tested the FT method today and it did work.  It is noteworthy though if you use PDMLink you may have to do some finessing to get it to work.  Just ask if you need some help with this aspect.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Amethyst

Essental functionality requirement while playing around family of casted/milled components.