cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Make it possible to Multi-Select when replacing or removing missing references and surface sets

Make it possible to Multi-Select when replacing or removing missing references and surface sets

Have you ever replaced a round with a chamfer, or redefine a radius significantly so that it causes a failure downstream of the change?  I do it every day.  Most commonly, I change a model feature and it creates failed "surface sets" in the Pro/NC manufacturing features.  In the attached image you see the result of changing a round to a radius.  There are several failed surfaces (Round 7) because it is no longer in the model.  For me to fix the Mill Surface or Mill Volume that these failed surface sets are a part of, I as a user have to select, right click and delete each of the missing items.  Wouldn't it be great if I could "ctrl - select" a whole bunch of them?  There could be hundreds of these to delete in order to preserve the Feature without starting over.  Left Click select, Right Click, Delete.  Left Click select, Right Click, Delete....

This is one of the most inefficient processes I find with Creo Parametric.  You can go to a model and "mult-select" features to delete.  You can go into a Pro/NC model tree and multi-select operations, sequences and mill geometry to delete.  At the surface sets or references level, its a tedious one at a time procedure.

9 Comments
Chris3
20-Turquoise
kdirth
19-Tanzanite

I usually find that I need to replace the missing surfaces/features.  Using Edit References tool replaces the missing reference with one click.  Occasionally a few references need to be removed and it is a bit tedious to enter Edit Definition for the feature and remove them one at a time.

kdirth_0-1616415451622.png

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I agree with the original post idea. I also tend to do Edit References whenever possible, as kdirth said, since it allows one click surface or egde replacement, the problem is that are still some very hidden bugs in the process, and sometimes there are missing references and the feature fails, and we see the missing references if we Edit Definition of the feature, but if we use the Edit References they are not shown as missing, not in red, nor as weak references in orange. So, sometimes we have really to use Edit Definition and manually delete all the missing references to start over.

In regards to Edit References, sometimes that process is not enough. Specially when speciying new references of sketched entities. The Edit Definition validates the whole sketch, namely, guarantying that the entities form a closed loop, and that they are have a correct winding order. With Edit References, that sketch validation step is not done, and the feature can fail even after replacing the missing references with new valid ones. It can generate an incorrect winding order sketch extrude, and it does not give an imediate error, but subsequent features fail since the extrude gets the solid normal inside out. It would be nice for the Edit Reference to guarantee that sketch validation extra step, if the missing references belong to a sketch, so that we avoid having to enter the Edit Definition only to have to click OK after Editing References.

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor

Hi, I think you can solve this opening the "selected itens" dialog box 

Jose_Costa_0-1683120140213.png

razmosis
11-Garnet

Hello,

We are using Creo 7 and I don't see how to multiselect like that.  What version are you using?

Thank you!
Matt

razmosis
11-Garnet

Shift LMB doesn't allow for multiselecting for me.

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor

Creo 7 too.

Are you sure you are clicking near the binocles to open that dialog box? 

Jose_Costa_0-1683212171146.png

razmosis
11-Garnet

I am sorry for the delay, I guess its been a while since I logged in to my account!  I can't see you video.  Here is a capture of one of my reference collectors.  I do not see any binoculars.  This particular snapshot is from a Mill Surface in manufacturing with missing surface references.  There is no way that I see to multiselect the missing references.

razmosis_0-1691696963397.png

razmosis
11-Garnet

I just figure it out.  Not sure why I should have to go to the area down by those binoculars and launch a separate reference window, but it works.

Thank you!