Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror and Share non symmetrical parts

Mirror and Share non symmetrical parts

Would like to be able to work with 'Handed' parts as shared parts. 

Currently only symmetrical parts can be mirrored and shared.  I would like so 'reflective' functianality between parts that allows for non-symmetrical parts to be shared also.

6 Comments

This was suggest earlier. I've voted for both, does that mean it's twice as important?

Participant

IF they are non symetrical they shoudlnot be shared,. How do you create two different  part numbers in PDM if they are shared?

Good point - I think that would be a requirement of this functionality to be geometrically shared, but carry different model id's for different part numbers. The goal being that if I change a hole diameter (or hole location, or any feature) on one part the mirrored part updates as well, so they are alway identical except part number and being mirrored.

Ideally the functionality would be extended to mirrored assemblies as well.

I'm not sure if it's relevent nor how other's deal with this, but I create a part number, say 10019, then I create the initial part/document as 10019-1 and the manually mirrored part/document as 10019-2. Lately I've begun using the base number, 10019 as an assy that contains the -1 and -2 parts, and create the Annotation drawing off the assy. I'll show -1 part on sheet one with all the dimensions and a note that says

10019-1 AS SHOWN

10019-2 OPPOSITE, SHOWN ON SHEET 2

Then on sheet 2 I'll show the -2 part with a couple of reference dimensions to aid the machinist in visualizing the part.

Other tricky issues with mirroring - engraving and helix (threads) may or may not want to be mirrored. To get full functionality out of this enhancement we would need some sort of selective-mirror-unshare to be applied to specified geometry. At the assembly level we'd want to be able to identify parts (such as fasteners) that would be directly shared - not mirror-shared.

Just some small comment regarding mirroring an assembly and detecting sharing. When an assembly or multiple parts are mirrored, the user has the capability to “Check for symmetry”.  In this case, the system will check if mirroring of a part can be excluded just by positioning the parts correctly. This can be achieved, if the part itself is symmetrical. In this case, shares of these parts are created and positioned correctly.

5-31-2012 4-10-33 PM.jpg

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged