cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelcheck to Check for invalid GD&T (or not created by GD&T Advisor)

Modelcheck to Check for invalid GD&T (or not created by GD&T Advisor)

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
We design and manufacture high-end electronics. I am the CAD Manager / PTC SME. Stakeholders for this idea include our Creo user community.

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Creo already gives an indication to the user that their GD&T is not valid. This is done either by a red underline or by using GD&T Advisor. However, modelcheck should flag an error if there is a blatant non-compliance. For instance, modelcheck should flag this:

jwagh_0-1659553413448.png

It would also be great for ModelCheck to have a separate check for any GD&T not created using the Advisor. 

4. What is the use case for your organization?
Like all organization's, employees come and go. Which means that we hire engineers with different skill levels of GD&T. As they learn, we want to make sure they don't design or release data that is blatantly wrong. Something so obvious, can be checked by an automated system, and does not need to be caught by a person later and spend time reworking.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
This would quicken the release/review process. This would ensure proper design intent on the drawings. This would ensure the parts are manufactured and inspected correctly.

Since Creo already does the check, it would just mean that modelcheck needs to read that data and report on it.

@lwestbrook 

6 Comments
lwestbrook
16-Pearl

Hi @jwagh, I just want to make sure I understand correctly. In the situation you provided in the image, Creo had already underlined the issue. So the request is simply to have ModelCHECK to recognize issues that Creo/GD&T Advisor have already highlighted. Is that right?

jwagh
16-Pearl

@lwestbrook 

Exactly. Managers are now trained to investigate any Modelcheck error. However, they may not catch one problematic GD&T amongst a busy drawing, when reviewing the PDF or a Creo View file. Automating this seems to be a no-brainer to me.

lwestbrook
16-Pearl

Makes sense! Thanks for clarifying!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

While I agree with ModelCheck flagging this as an error, I would think that if the person doing the drawing saw the red line signifying that something was visibly wrong, they would fix it before it got to ModelCheck.

jwagh
16-Pearl

@BenLoosli 

I agree with you. You would think, but it doesn't always happen. You could say the same with a good number of the checks with modelcheck (unregenerated dimensions in a drawing - with a different color, hidden views, non standard datums for a start part...), it's all there on the screen, but sometimes it gets missed.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @jwagh for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.