Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-body Save As Assembly option.

Multi-body Save As Assembly option.

with the new multi-body functionality, introduced in Creo 7, you have the option to select a body and RMB "create part from body".

this is significant enhancement.

In order to complete the designer need two option are missing:

1. having the possibility to select multiple bodies from tree/screen RMB "Create ASM from bodies". the outcome of this should be an assembly with each body defined as a part and located at the relevant location ( according to geometry placement in part )

2. each part should have the geometry as a features rather than external geometry feature.

Having those options will improve design process.

2 Comments
Garnet

I agree with the having the "Create ASM from bodies", after selecting several bodies, and having them placed in the same location in the assembly, but I think the option of the geometry in the generated parts having "inherited" the contributed feature set of the body similar to the part inheritance is not feasible.

The body can be constructed with features referencing other bodies or datums belonging only to the initial part. If somehow those features could be "exported" to the new part, there would be lots of problems with circular references, ie, references made in the context of the saved assembly. It would also increase regeneration times. It's better to have the geometry as a solid or dumb object. The only useful benefit I see in having the "features" exported to the new part, would be the possibility to "reference pattern" geometry that was patterned in the initial design of the body, such as holes or other datum features.

Could you give examples in which situations the "exported features" could improve the design process?

Many thanks for your comment.

At the methodological level - Through the year i have seen many designers, in other software, using multi-body design as the first stage of the design. at this stage the symply use the ability to reference geometry, easily, without the need to create an asm. So, one you completed the "initial" concept/design you would like to have the ability to continue and develop the part as a "stand alone" part.

having the starting point as external geometry is limiting the usage of this approach as you will need to continue working on the multi-body part which can become challenging.

At the technical level - once you create the part from body you can't produce necessary drawing easily - as you can't use "show dimension" and you need to go and define one by one.

I do agree this is not an easy task. however, it can be done while using some approaches, such "backup references", used inside the asm environment.

in case that there are some gaps - it's o.k to have only some of the geometry as feature while other remain "dumb".

I personally believe in the approach that  - it is better to have 80% of the functionality 100% of the time rather than having 0% of the functionality 100% of the time due to some lack of ability to have "bulletproof" functionality.