Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New drawing with same name as the active 3d model in Creo Parametric

New drawing with same name as the active 3d model in Creo Parametric

Many companies create drawings with Creo Parametric that have the same name as the 3d model, that is shown on the drawing. Therefore it would be great to have a standard function inside Creo Parametric that creates a new drawing with the same name as the active 3d model. If a user is creating many drawings it will save a significant amount of time.

4 Comments

First of all, you should vote for your idea.

We do name our drawings the same as the model but I also run across times where I don't i.e. for technical illustrations.

I chose to customize so I can do more "policing" by providing an icon on the home tab which runs a mapkey.  This mapkey does:

• names the drawing the same as the current model
  • gets the proper template
  • asks to select which size format
  • fills (placeholders) defined drawing parameters automatically
  • presents user with a "ready to insert first view" drawing format

By presenting it on the home tab, it compels the user to use the icon instead of doing it themselves because it is easier and faster.

The "new drawing" under the file tab still exists for those cases that fall outside the normal workflow.

The idea may work for companies having 1 or two users but for larger numbers or transient users, customization is the best option.

Emerald I

The idea may work for companies having 1 or two users but for larger numbers or transient users, customization is the best option.

I disagree with that statement.  We have a decent number of users and don't require customization to create drawings.  We do have formats and templates built, but the users are more than capable of selecting which one they need.

I totally agree with this product idea.  99% of the time we name our drawings the same as the model.  If, when you create a new drawing Creo is going to assume that you want the current model placed in the drawing, then I don't see any reason why Creo couldn't also assume that you want them named the same.  Just like with the associated model, if you don't like Creo's assumption, simply type in something different.  It doesn't require any extra work if you want it different, but it would make it easier if you want them the same.

name1.PNG

name2.PNG

Tom

I guess this is why we put up these ideas, discuss, and vote on them.

I can also show you a database full of issues from fully capable users that brought their own ideas and experiences to the table from previous employers and utilized them.  With a weak IT and Admin, it allowed rampant self reliance with no concern for commonization or consistency.

But in defense of your idea with the advent of more detailed data provided, I can see your point of having the default model in the new drawing window populate with the active model (.prt or .asm).  This too I would find beneficial (makes the mapkey easier to write) and it makes sense.  I changed my mind (and my vote).

To rant a bit though, having to "police" the users is still needed here (and other places I have been at) until modelCheck implementation.

Even you have shown that users have the ability to make selections, or not, regarding the drawings (use default template, empty with format)

The mapkeys we use makes these decisions for them but allows them to choose what is only important to them - what size drawing to use.

Thanks for your passion.

Ron

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged