cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On/Off on "set Datum" (Datum display filters)

On/Off on "set Datum" (Datum display filters)

Datum display filters should be able to hide all types of planes -> "Set Datum" also.

Turn OFF the display of ALL planes

datum planes on-off on set datums OFF.jpg

10 Comments
StephenWilliams
Sapphire II

Thought it would be nice to bump this again. Sure would be great for large assemblies, especially now that not all set datums can be layered off.

cruf

I wrote up a similar idea for the same problem:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/4619

please vote for it as well.

Maybe the toggle 3D annotations icon should toggle these also, or plane display, i don't care how to control it, i just need to be able to control their display.

PTCModerator
Topaz I
Status changed to: Acknowledged

SherryTakahashi
Bedrock

Our company it finally fed up with the plastering of set datums in the model.  We cannot even see the models anymore. 

set_datums.jpg

I opened a ticket with PTC. 

They said, "working as designed because earlier the reference planes were used to provide source for set datums. If the set datums were included with the plane display toggle on/off it would merely end the purpose in first place. As it would be difficult or create confusion for manufacturing vendor to separate the cluster of planes from the reference set datum's and the normal or created datum planes and its functionality. So the set datums are not included in plane display toggle on/off."

I stated that datums are datums regardless if they are set or not.  We used to combat this issue with the Temporary Shade function, but in Creo 5.0, this function does NOT work on all assemblies.  They said to vote up this product idea. 

StephenWilliams
Sapphire II

Always good to bump these occassionally to get more votes but I have no hope!!!

While you are voting, add a vote for the one that is specifically for drawings too!!

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/quot-Set-Datums-quot-should-be-hidden-by-default-...

SherryTakahashi
Bedrock

PTC Case: C15117264

SPR: 9531486

We have been informed that there will be a new config.pro option available in Creo 7.0.1.0 that will allow SET datum planes to hide when planes are turned off in the environment:

hide_set_datum_plane_with_plane yes

I have asked if this will also work with SET datum AXIS or if there is a similar config option for axis

StephenWilliams
Sapphire II

@SherryTakahashi  This is good news. Any word on if it also applies to drawings?

Mfridman
Alexandrite

Hi All,

I just wanted to confirm the news that @SherryTakahashi  have shared above and would want to use the opportunity to provide more details as well as to answer some of the questions raised.

We are indeed planning to introduce this new config with Creo 7.0.1.0  (hide_set_datum_plane_with_plane yes/no)

The new config will essentially allow you to decide whether the datum display toggle in the IGT (in graphics toolbar) will be also hiding SET DATUM PLANES along with the regular datum planes or not.

This option will be applicable only for set datum planes in the model environment and will not affect display of SET DATUM AXIS (that are already supported with the dedicated axis display toggle in the IGT).

As it goes to the display of set datum planes in drawings: They are working in a different display logic then in the model environment, so this solution could not be fitted there as is.  please don't get disappointed just yet and keep reading the following 🙂  

Most of you probably already know that the latest detailing standards do not allow using set datum planes for GD&T referencing.

we also realize that the transition from set datums will take time and I agree that set datums display in drawings can also be complex at times. 

In order to try and assist with set datums display in drawings, we are currently investigating whether there is something that we could provide for controlling the display of set datums during the creation of new drawing views only (as mentioned in another product idea).

We know that it will not cover 100% of the cases (model replace for example), but we still think that it would help to many of you in the transition time that you move away from set datums to DFS (datum feature symbols).

I would highly appreciate your thoughts on this item and to the defined scope. Will this suggested enhancement be something that you will benefit from?

Just would like to clarify that there is no commitment for this additional drawing enhancement at this point, but I hope that I will know more at later time.

Best regards 

Michael Fridman

Creo Product Manager

StephenWilliams
Sapphire II

@Mfridman  Thanks for the update! This is good news. Improvements are always welcome.

From the standpoint of legacy data with set datums, they will be present for years to come. Creo (Pro/e) have been using them for years and that data is still being utilized and will be utilized unchanged for years to come. 

From the standpoint of drawings display of set datums not intended to be shown on that drawing, I have been disappointed for years now that there was never a solution offered for that issue. At the very least, your additional comments provide a little hope for relief from that disappointment.

Just to be clear, I opened a top level "sales" drawing. Nothing on that drawing besides interface information. NO GD&T on that drawing at all. No reason to have datums shown. And yet, this is revision 3 of the drawing and when I open it, I see tons of datums.

Screenshot below is one small area of one view on a 6 page drawing that was previously released so at some point, all the datums were erased/layered off/hidden in some form or fashion.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/quot-Set-Datums-quot-should-be-hidden-by-default-...

StephenWilliams_0-1591029818833.png

Mfridman
Alexandrite
Status changed to: Delivered

The requested functionality was delivered with Creo 7.0.1.0 and is being controlled with the following config: hide_set_datum_plane_with_plane yes/*no