cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Open Drawing from Part

Open Drawing from Part

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.

Research and development.

Mechanical Design Engineer

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

Allow a drawing to be opened from the part or assembly. A part can be opened from the drawing but not visa versa. If a drawing doesn't exist for that part.asm, give the option to create a new drawing. If multiple models have been added to a single drawing, allow all models to open that drawing. 

4. What is the use case for your organization?

System design and fabrication.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?

this would save enormous amounts of time. Every time you want to open a drawing from a part, you have to copy the part number and search for the drawing.

7 Comments
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

How do you handle the case of a single part/assembly being used/referenced in multiple drawings?

I can see it work if it is limited to something like the drawing MUST have the same name as the part/assembly. This is not always true in our environment.

Brndn4
9-Granite

I can see value in this. It could reduce clicks by avoiding the need to go to Windchill (if using), memorize numbers/relationships, or search as OP noted. Granted if you're using Windchill, you can still get to the same end point, but you could do it faster from the Creo Parametric UI.

@BenLoosli  To your question, I would envision it to work similar to the simplified rep dialog for models or drawings. Maybe there would be an RMB option to "open/view related drawing", it reports metadata links stored in the model, and shows the window for selection before opening, preferably with some filterable attribute columns. I specifically note a filter because I can see this functionality being useful if applied to upper-level assemblies as well.

In short, I see this pulling Windchill functionality up into Creo Parametric for faster access to essentially the same information.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

As stated by @StephenW this has been requested many times. There are two troubles with it:

(1) A part or assembly does not retain any link showing that it has been used in a drawing. The drawing is the "top level" datafile, which references one or more models, but the models do not reference any drawings. To do this, the part/assembly database would need to be changed to include said references. All well and good for models that are used for one drawing, but...

(2) The drawing can reference many models, and a model may be used in many drawings, as noted by @BenLoosli . For example, we do a lot of assemblies that require wire ties to prevent fasteners from vibrating loose. In order to have a depiction of the wire tie, I built a small model of a couple of typical fasteners and the wire twisted between them to illustrate the concept. This illustrative model is used in hundreds of drawings. Is that model supposed to contain references to every drawing it has ever been used in? How would Creo even find any of those drawings, unless they are in all in directories within the current search path?

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Duplicate

Thank you @DC_9821473 for your idea and the participants form the comments. Givin what was said, it looks like this idea is a duplicate. @DC_9821473 I encourage you to vote on an existing one (like this suggested one) and add your use case or any comment. 

Trebla
15-Moonstone

@DC_9821473  you can use a mapkey to get what you want, You can find it in this thread

llie
16-Pearl

As mentioned in a different post, we used a small toolkit that is free and use a mapkey as well as an icon that activates it. It opens a drawing with the same base number which is everything to the left of the dash. If one does not exist in Windchill it opens the File GUI. 

drawing.JPG