1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. Machine automation. Admin for Creo and Windchill. All Windchill users within our organization.
2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running? 18.104.22.168 and Windchill 22.214.171.124
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve.
Due to the HUGE system/performance benefits of Inseparable Assemblies in a Windchill environment, we would like to have the ability to default to Inseparable Assemblies when importing STEP files. This would require 2 changes:
Add Import as Inseparable assembly to STEP file import menu
Add a config.pro setting to allow choosing Inseparable Assembly as the default.
4. What is the use case for your organization? We get STEP files of customer data that can contain 100's or 1000's of parts, and since we reference their data in our machine design we often want to check this data into Windchill. TWICE in the last month we had users check in assemblies with 5000+ new objects pausing our Windchill system for 15+ minutes for all users while the check in completes. These large assembly check ins are made 3x+ slower by using the 'Auto Associate upon Checkin' that creates WTParts.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? Being able to protect our Windchill system by default rather than having to constantly train/remind users to remember to use available tools. Better performance for pretty much all things PDM:
Significantly faster check in
Less clutter in workspace
Less objects to refresh in workspace
Less publishing (1 file instead of 100's or 1000's)
Users can always unembed files if they need to create separate files.
When importing STEP assemblies, please also fix the extra assembly Creo creates and when possible don't append extra things to the end of the file names.