Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass Sheet Number of Drawing View back to Model of Same Name

Pass Sheet Number of Drawing View back to Model of Same Name

When inserting a general view, if the (primary) view is named the same as the view's drawing model, the sheet number and sheet name (and maybe even the view coords) would be passed back to the instance of the drawing model within the drawing.   This way a BOM table could automatically show the drawing sheet information (sheet number and/or sheet name of a multi-sheet drawing) for each line item in the BOM and parametrically update for sheet additions/deletions and view moves.  Perhaps a selection (toggle or check) when creating/editing a view of a part or assembly to enable it to be identified by the sheet number and/or sheet name when the item is listed in a BOM.

8 Comments
Emerald III

What would you suggest if one part is used in many drawings ?

MH

Amethyst

Good Question - There should be one sheet (or relatively small set of sheets) that have the details for that part.  The best scenario would be that the part detail sheet (or first sheet of a sub-set of sheets) and drawing name, and maybe even the directory path to the drawing, would get passed back to the part for use in a any BOM listing the part.  When you create a view of a part, if you had an option to 'designate' that view as the BOM line item identifier of the part, then a BOM line could lead you to locate the part details, whether in the same drawing or not, and parametrically update changed information (drawing name change, drawing view sheet and location), all without the use of a sophisticated PDM.  Even without the option to 'designate' it, naming the view the same as the model could be used to automatically link the information.

Emerald III

I'm afraid that your idea is too complicated to implement. Therefore do not expect that PTC implements suggested enhacement. Instead of waiting for PTC to do something, develop your own custom application which resolves your needs.

MH

I agree a little TK app would be the best way here.

I could envision the Creo enhancement as stated, though it is indeed complicated (different customers might want different information or formats, and what happens when you reuse a component in another drawing, or worse if this is a standard/library part and you aren't supposed to modify it), that we might spend a chunk of time and only satisfy a few people.  A related approach I could see us implementing would be a report parameter asm.mbr.pos_loc.my_first_view, which would be 'report the location of the first view of this component model, using the pos_loc_format, defined by the lowest numbered sheet and then by the earliest created view'.  This wouldn't go back to the model, but would allow you to have a BOM on sheet 1 with the assembly that parametrically documents where to find the component sheets. This would be pretty easy, as the underlying tools exist already.

This is sufficiently different than the original idea that if people are interested, they should make a new product idea and vote it up.

Amethyst

It's good to field this idea and get feedback.

To preface this comment - I have relatively few standard or common parts (but some).  Every project is mostly custom parts which are kept in the project working directory.  Projects have anywhere from 10 to around 2000 individual parts.

I currently accomplish this feature manually (so it seems simple to me) - by having parameters already in my start part for drwg_sheet, drwg_path, view_rev, and a few others (perhaps the name of the CNC file for cutting the part - or other custom notes).  In a drawing package, on the detail sheet for the part, I have annotations for those parameters.  Once I'm nearly done with developing a project, I go to each detail sheet and edit the parameters within the annotation.  Then the detail sheet number, drawing directory, and date the view was revised all show up nicely within the BOM.  In this way, whether anyone has just the BOM, or just the part drawing, everyone knows exactly where the part originated, and when it was last revised, and can locate any CNC files for the part, (and in our case, exactly how many are needed for a project), and this all satisfies the requirements of my Quality Control procedures.

The difficulty of course, is that if a drawing sheet is added or removed within a drawing package (I seldom have a project that I don't have to revise), much re-numbering must be performed.  I've investigated the use of &asm.mbr.location... in a BOM repeat region.  Unless there are ways to use this that are not documented, it doesn't work for providing the sheet number of a specified view within the context of a report or BOM (repeat region) table.  If &asm.mbr.location... had the option to accept the part name as the view name, and the view was named the same as the part, then at least the sheet number could be passed dynamically back to the BOM.  Does this sound too complicated?

The standard location callout there is 'the location of this part, specifically of the placement(s) that are reported on this record of the repeat region, in the context of all views of the top model that drives the repeat region, or of a specific such view'.  This would be an entirely new callout, to find where the component view is located, not something that exists today.  It is also entirely separate from the original idea proposed here, not being about putting parameters in a solid (though that is also interesting).

I think I am picturing what you are talking about (no idea how to implement) and can see how it might benefit us as well. Would you mind PDFing a quick example and adding comments to it on how it works? Just a small example would be fine.

We recently started  another business unit from our company to produce some of our products, instead of an outside fabricator. We do things very different than they do and this could help us communicate with them and relieve some of their stress when looking at our drawings.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived