Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Specific Search Paths

Project Specific Search Paths

Hello, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but I think there should be a way to bring up "project specific" search path files.  For instance, if I open up a project and I only need to search in a couple different file locations, I should be able to have an option to specify a search path file within the project's directory.  This way, even if it's been years since I've opened up a project and I've deleted/moved associated files around to different folders, I can select the search path and allow Pro/e to find only the specific files I need (as long as those have not been moved, if they have, at least I'd have an idea as to what parts I was pulling in).  This would also be helpful when sharing a project with other users on a network.  Another advantage to this is that Pro/e would be less likely to open the wrong files that have the same filenames (this happens to me all the time because of .STEP files that have default partnames like "part001".  I believe that adding this feature will make the transition from project to project a much smoother process and would also be a more efficient way of searching for parts.  Please consider this idea!

Thank You,

Sam Lamb

4 Comments

I believe you can already do this, if I understand correctly the request.

We use the config option: search_path_file search.pro

This will load the search.pro from the working directory. I hope this is what you're looking for.

Raymon,

I've used search_path_file before and it does what I need to an extent.  One of the problems with that is that I have to manually add/remove the search_path_file location with the config.pro file.  However, I could just put all the part library locations in one search_path_file but usually this causes PRO/E to get confused and pull up random parts (usually because of generic part names from .STEP files).  There should be an option when PRO/E can't find a part and the dialog box comes up that asks you to point to a search_path_file which is specific to the project I'm opening.  This would be so much easier. 

We use a mapkey for this - the mapkey prompts the user to select a new working directory, then automatically loads the search.pro file contained in that directory.  I agree it would make sense for this to be the standard behaviour when you set a working directory, but the mapkey method is probably the next best thing.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived