cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Provide % Completion feedback when loading from ModelManager

Provide % Completion feedback when loading from ModelManager

When loading large assemblies from ModelManager, it would be helpful to have some feedback to indicate that it is working, and to indicate how far along the load is in the process.

8 Comments
FriedhelmK
17-Peridot

So you can decide if you can get a coffee in the waiting time

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

So you can decide whether to get coffee, or go to lunch

MaxKublin
1-Newbie

If this is ever implemented, it will be as "precise" as all other progress indicators....

reliable progress indicators are only possible for very simple operations, e.g. copying a large file

from one computer to the other. But even such simple operations may vary a lot depending on

the network traffic and other activities on both machines.

Loading a large Model from Model Manager to Modeling involves a lot of different operations,

so the progress indicator will either be really rough or it will take considarable time to

compute a useful estimate.

Just one example:

Big Companies like the company Pete is working for have DFS (Distributed File Servers)

in place. It is currently not possible to tell if a File is on the local File Server or on the remote

File Server. If only one of thousands of files is located on the remote file server, the "remote"

file can count as much as the other thousand files - depending on the WAN involved.

So it may happen that the progress indicator says "99% ready" but you still could go to lunch....

I am aware that users don't want to hear how complex a system is ....

regards,

Max

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

Yes, I realize that the system is complex and it would not be easy or very accurate. But I also know that lots of software these days can do something similar-the expectation is that this is possible.

Here's the scenario...You started loading a large assembly on your laptop a half hour ago, and now you need to go to a meeting (and take the laptop with you-which will disconnect it from the network). Do you wait another 5 minutes until it completes? Or do you just cancel it knowing that you will have to spend at least another half hour later in the day getting back to where you are now? If there was a progress indicator and it said it was at 99%, then you might wait. If it was at 50%, you'd go.

MaxKublin
1-Newbie

The scenario you describe is exactly what a progress indicator can't fulfil.

Assume it says "5 minutes left" and than it takes 10+ minutes ...

If you know you have to go to a meeting, connect via WLAN and take the Laptop to the meeting.

Working with a Laptop is for sure not the common use model of a mechanical engineer.

Besides using WLAN to have a true "mobile workstation" there are other possibilites,

e.g working with Remote Desktop on a machine and load the Model on this machine.

You can disconnect the Remote Desktop and re-connect any time without interrupting

the "big assembly load".

lfortner
11-Garnet

And what do you think about the following proposal:

- at load start, the system could probably figure how number of part/files is needed to load

- why not to count down as 1/172, 2/172, etc. as files are grabbed

It's not time accurate, it could have the same bias Max is talking about, but it could be meaningful anyway.

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

If you know you have to go to a meeting, connect via WLAN and take the Laptop to the meeting.

The problem with that is that in the building that we are in, which is shared by several companies, our wireless LAN does not cover the entire building, and there are places that we need to go for meetings which are not covered-we can't guarantee connection everywhere along the path to the meeting. And as we know, if connection to ModelManager is lost at any point, we must start over.

Working with a Laptop is for sure not the common use model of a mechanical engineer.

It is common here; almost every mechanical engineer has a laptop since most are required to work while they are traveling, and it is helpful when presenting their design for review in meetings.

working with Remote Desktop on a machine and load the Model on this machine.

That may help with local meetings, but it will not work for working overseas-which is where most of the ME's need to travel to. It also requires every engineer to have 2 computers, but it is something to look into.

The scenario you describe is exactly what a progress indicator can't fulfil.

It may not be perfect, but it will be better than what we have now-which is NOTHING. I'm willing to accept if it says 5 minutes and takes 15 minutes sometimes because if it says 60 minutes I know it will probably not be 5 minutes or even 15 minutes.

And if it is so difficult to get a time estimate, the code should be able to do what Louis proposed, which is a count of the number of files that are needed and a tally of how many of them have been grabbed so far. That still fulfills my suggestion for a progress indicator.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived