cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push Install software (remotely and silently deploy Creo and\or patches)

Push Install software (remotely and silently deploy Creo and\or patches)

As an administrator of multiple CAD users and systems, it would be helpful to be able to remotely 'push' software to my users' systems from my desk.

9 Comments
Participant

There are lots of ways to accomplish this here are a few:

Software like SCCM (Microsoft) or Altiris

Push software out through Active Directory

Remote Commands (Look up Powershell remoting)

Placing a batch file in a startup directory

If you look at the the presentation from last years PTC Live Global If I remember correctly @David Haigh gives some tips on how to work with your IT department to accomplish this: PTC Creo Admin 102 - What I Know Now - David Haigh, Lawrence Livermore National Lab

Thank you for the suggestions Brian, but I *am* the IT department.  Yes, there are many solutions, outside of PTC and Creo, that could allow me to remotely install software after much research, trial, and error, but it would still be nice and useful if PTC offered this functionality to save me the trouble.

Brian, you put me on a 'scent'.  I searched on "Best Rated Presentations", after finding the document for the presentation you mentioned and found another one on deployment that looks very interesting (along with the one you mentioned).  Although... this one is missing some information and still looks complicated too.  Still would be nice to have an 'easy button' for this that is more brainless.

Boston Best Rated Presentations - Latest addition: Measuring the Health of Your PTC Creo Parametric ...:

One Click PTC Creo Deployment (Best PTC Creo Presentation)

Lee Hughes, Kohler Company

Sapphire II

We have used server-hosted implementation for many years with PTC products.

One location, one update and the users have a new build.

There is a little delay in initial startup but it is not really noticeable unless you time every startup.

Topaz II

There is a way, although it's not fully automated.  You can write a simple batch file to automate it, I think David Haigh's admin 101 presentation lays out how to do so.

All the relevant info is in the appendixes of the install and administration guides. Here's the document for Creo 3 (see appendix F), here's Creo 2 (also appendix F) . Maintenance required to view all.

Tanzanite

David Haigh's presentation can be downloaded from here http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/si/topic=827

You must have an PTC User account.

Topaz II

They're available here on the Community site too:

Admin 101

Admin 102

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Sapphire II

It has been 3+ years since this was first mentioned and PTC has finally added a 'Under Consideration' to the idea.

I think there have been many suggestions of ways to do remote push installs of Creo. None of them require PTC to  spend resources to develop.

I do not think it is PTC's responsibility or within the scope of their software to provide another tool for remote/automated installs when there are many solutions out on the market today, some even freeware.