Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real to String in Relations

Real to String in Relations

I would like to have a Real to String function in relations. Our company standard defines the display of the dimensions of a part as a string parameter in our BOM;

T=6.35 100x500

In order to get this currently I have to write a very complex relation to extract the values from the models;

IF MODEL_THICKNESS < 10

TK=ITOS(MODEL_THICKNESS*100)

DIMENSION="T= "+ EXTRACT(TK,1,1) + "." + EXTRACT(TK,2,2) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_WIDTH) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_LENGTH)

ENDIF

IF MODEL_THICKNESS >= 10

TK = ITOS(MODEL_THICKNESS*100)

DIMENSION="T= "+ EXTRACT(TK,1,2) + "." + EXTRACT(TK,3,2) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_WIDTH) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_LENGTH)

ENDIF

Luckily we display our dimensions in mm, so I only have to support the imperial thickness of the materials.

10 Comments
Aquamarine

Same problem here. Too many lines of relations to get the same result.

Granite

Rtos function would be a huge timesaver for starters.

Moonstone

We developed a "real to string" function for relations with Pro/TOOLKIT.

Only some 10 or 20 lines of code were necessary to realize this.

@ PTC: It's so easy, why we're still waiting for that?!

Not sure why we're waiting, as you said this should be a very simple request. I opened a request for this back in.... I would say 2004. It seems things have changed from their side, I don't see it in the SPR anymore.

Visitor

We ended up using JLink to create our real to string function.

Bedrock

We are in the same case

We use relation:

rtos_param=itos(floor(param))+"."+extract(itos((1+(param-floor(param)))*10000),2,3)

if param=2.05 rtos_param returns 2.050

for 4 digits after comma, use

rtos_param=itos(floor(param))+"."+extract(itos((1+(param-floor(param)))*10000),2,4)

if param=2.05 rtos_param returns 2.0500

Emerald II

Here is my three decimal place version.  This includes automatic rounding.  X is the real number and Y is the string.

/* String Output - No Leading Zero, Three Decimal Places

Y = ITOS(FLOOR(X+.0005))+"."+EXTRACT(ITOS(((FLOOR((X+.0005),3))-FLOOR(FLOOR((X+.0005),3))+1)*1000),2,3)

Other versions are available here: Converting Real Numbers to Strings

Amethyst

Wow.  Still shaking my head about this one.

Keep voting Does PTC ever read these?

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Community Manager

I would like to have a Real to String function in relations. Our company standard defines the display of the dimensions of a part as a string parameter in our BOM;

T=6.35 100x500

In order to get this currently I have to write a very complex relation to extract the values from the models;

IF MODEL_THICKNESS < 10

TK=ITOS(MODEL_THICKNESS*100)

DIMENSION="T= "+ EXTRACT(TK,1,1) + "." + EXTRACT(TK,2,2) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_WIDTH) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_LENGTH)

ENDIF

IF MODEL_THICKNESS >= 10

TK = ITOS(MODEL_THICKNESS*100)

DIMENSION="T= "+ EXTRACT(TK,1,2) + "." + EXTRACT(TK,3,2) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_WIDTH) + " X " + ITOS(MODEL_LENGTH)

ENDIF

Luckily we display our dimensions in mm, so I only have to support the imperial thickness of the materials.