Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember Parametric Sketching References

Remember Parametric Sketching References

Config.pro option to set the "Remember Parametric Sketching References", (enable sketching chain) as default ON

We systematically need this option to be set to ON - A config.pro option would be very useful.

Remember Parametric Sketching References.jpg

10 Comments

Additionally, it would be useful if (e.g) copied entities remembered their parametric origins after being trimmed or extended.

Aquamarine

Good idea that I advise you to formalize and illustrate.

I will vote for it !

Moonstone

Along the same lines, we should have an option to Remember the Horizontal/Vertical Snapping within the Sketch Preferences on the dwg.  The vast majority of the time that I or anyone else in the company want draft entities on a dwg we want them to be horizontal or vertical.  Actually if all of the settings in teh Sketch Prefernces could be remembered, that would be ideal.  Individual config options for them would also be acceptable.  Whatever it takes to get it so I don't have to keep setting this option all the time, and so my coworkers don't have to get frustrated at using sketch entities because they don't know or forget to do this.

Visitor

I would not vote for the default to be on by default, but I see the desire for any option like this to be available in config.pro.

However, I am curious to know what you are doing (and so often) that you would want this on.

Moonstone

For me the issue is in detailing drawings.  When dimensioning to a rounded corner, witness lines are added to ensure the dimension intent is understood.  When adjusting the lines, they do not keep the original reference.  When the model changes, the lines do not move with the feature.

The only work around that I have found is to make sketches in the part.  They then have to be on a layer and that layer needs to be turned on and off per view.

Long over due as either a default or as a config option (or both). But "draft grid" as a default for snapping! Does someone think this is AutoCAD?

Moonstone

Not everything should be done in a model and there is still good reasons to sketch individual symbols...why should we be forced to purchase and open an entirely different program, and import it in just to be able to sketch some required symbols on the drawing?  Creo should be able to do everything AutoCAD can do, along with the parametric modeling.

I wouldn't disagree that a drafting function, to be more than a joke, should be comprehensive. The issue here is what drafting options are on by default and whether this is settable in config.pro. First, it is not and should be. Second, in 15 years I've used a draft grid about once but use horizontal/vertical snapping constantly. So, to me it's a silly option to be set by default to on and just as silly that horizontal/vertical snapping is not. But, still, keep in mind that that it would be possible to deselect an option that is on by default; and if it were customizable, it could be set any way you want. I just generally think it's odd for a program to have "options" that are not configurable. BTW, setting by drawing or session is selectable, not configurable.

Moonstone

David Janes‌, by in large I agree with you.  We are starting to use drafting grid much more extensively because I found that if the setup is done well, and some grunt work is done to create a library if symbols, then it is by far the most efficient way to create hydraulic schematics that I have seen with any of the software that we own.   This is important to us because we do our own testing and need to specify and document the test setup.  Creo can do this well, when first the library is created and second certain features like snapping horz/vert and to the grid are selected (along with a about 5 other commands in my mapkey to make Creo sketching friendly).  This allows us to create consistent and reusable ISO schematics quickly and accurately without inundating our users with yet another another program.

Currently Creo does not make the setup easily, and I would really like to work with them to improve the symbol interface that we use so extensively (which seems not to have been updated in apparently over a decade), but once the symbols are created, anyone can quickly sketch their schematic "from scratch".  The annoying limitation with regard to this idea is that I cannot consistently turn on certain features using a mapkey because it only toggles it and if the first mapkey is interrupted (due to necessary PDMLink reason), then it will just toggle it on and off rather than keep it on.

I completely agree that options should be in the configurable at startup, and would then allow users to turn them on (or off) via a mapkey for certain situations.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged