cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Remove PSF date code dependence

Remove PSF date code dependence

Every PSF file has a line that hard codes the date code of Creo.  If you update Creo, you have to change all the date codes in your PSF files to match or they will crash Creo.  Why?  Is there something I'm missing as to how this is useful?  Remove this dependency so PSF files can be reused between updates!

5 Comments
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

did you discuss the purpose of following line with PTC Support ?

-OR-

do you know the purpose of following line ?

SHIPCODE=Mxxx

Martin Hanak

JamesAvis
13-Aquamarine

No, all I know is if it does not match the date code of Creo, it crashes.  There are better ways of determining the date code, though.  My startup script, for example, figures it out without me having to hard code it.

Whatever the purpose of that line is, the idea is to get rid of it.  Put it in a different file, if necessary, just not in a file that should be able to be reused between updates.

slapha
15-Moonstone

You would think it's less needed in 4.0 now that they put everything below the Shipcode. I imagine it may still use that variable somewhere.

What I did for our startups was merge 2 files together. I have a set of PSF's missing that top area on the server, and then I have a file with just that top area that's created locally on install of the version. So on startup it takes the install header, and merges it with all the individual PSF's and puts them into the Parametric folder.  It's not pretty but this way I can manage the PSF's independently of which build each user has installed. If I add a new license option PSF it gets pushed on startup. In the future, I want to just build a single PSF on the fly based on a UI selection in a startup app, but it will still have to know what version they're running.

JamesAvis
13-Aquamarine

This appears to have been incorporated into Creo 5.  There is no longer a date code, or any version folders within the installation, and the psf file it generates doesn't include version specific information.  I suppose only time will tell, if PTC won't ever comment on these requests.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.