Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the limit of 31 characters in creo file name

Remove the limit of 31 characters in creo file name

31 characters are not enough for design. This limit sometimes is driving customer crazy. For CATIA the limit of file name is 81 characters.

67 Comments
BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

06/14/2018 note in this thread only says that PTC has acknowledged this request. That was AFTER Creo 5 was released. With the major/minor releases, We can only hope this change makes Creo 7 or it may not make it until Creo 10! I can see this being an enhancement that the big companies want, or maybe not since most big companies use Windchill.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

31 characters are not enough for design. This limit sometimes is driving customer crazy. For CATIA the limit of file name is 81 characters.

HelesicPetr
17-Peridot

Year 2020 the idea has been created 2012 there is really hard work on this enhancement.

MarcHaren
6-Contributor

In my opinion 31 characters is plenty... if you need anymore than that you should probably have a CREO swear jar.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

Our corporate standard for part numbers is 7 characters. Add 3 characters for dash numbered components of a weldment and we have 10 characters.

Where I used to work, we would do things like hoses (modeled for an assembly) with hose_part_number-Assembly_number-Hose_Sequenece, so using the 7character numbering, that would give us 18 characters (1234567-7456321-02). With 31 characters, that still leaves us with 13 characters for designers to come up with funky names that usually don't get released since the CM team (me) won't allow those numbers in a released structure. I do allow some exemptions when justified!

If you are naming your parts: BigBadJohn_TestAssembly_ForMariansSpecialOneOffProject, You may want to rethink your naming strategy or move to a PDm system where the database can handle that as a description and the filename on disk can be 00acfg67eda2.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Our regular internal part number scheme is 7 characters as well.  However, our customer number can get quite long because of all the options available.  We haven't had a problem yet but there were a few close calls.  There are some customer numbers that would be longer than 31 where the customer COULD order but we haven't had that yet.  Extending the 31 character limit is a MUST.

I.e., this is a customer number that COULD be ordered (replace by actual letters and number of course):

XXXX-XXXX-X-X-XXXX-XXXX/XXXX_XXXX

The limit doesn't have to be removed.  Just increased.  40 or 45 characters should be fine?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

I think the hardest part of this request is the programming involved in updating existing files.

Extending the buffer size, while might be in hundreds of code files, is the easy part.

Think of each CREO file as a mini-database with a 31 character field reserved for the part number. Next to that field is the one for version, then iteration. Now increase the buffer size for the first field and write back 60 characters instead of 31. You have just overwritten the version and iteration plus maybe more data. The file being modified has to 'move' those other fields over to allow the part number to be 60 characters long. No easy task.

Has the part number length always been 31 since the days of Pro/Engineer v1? I guess being on Unix originally, they didn't have to worry about the DOS 8.3 convention of those days.

wstevens
4-Participant

PTC, Please take this enhancement request seriously.  This is and has been causing MAJOR problems for us especially when working with ECAD.  During the ECAD/MCAD data exchange, our ECAD library component names exceed 32 characters and we cannot match them with Creo file names because of this restriction.  This causes us to create a mapping file which is a manual process and it is VERY time consuming and prone to error.  This request has been submitted and voted on for MANY years, and there is no reason that modern software should have this restriction.

mfischer
17-Peridot
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Currently, Creo Parametric does not support file and feature names greater than 31 characters (Unite supports up to 75 characters), white spaces, special characters and mixed cases.   This limitation also impacts areas within Creo; such as dialogs, relations, family tables, model tree, etc.  As a result of this limitation, names are truncated, or not allowed, which presents a major usability issue raised by users.

PTC is aware of these limitation and is currently researching efforts to remove the naming restrictions in a future release. 

As part of this effort, PTC will hope to deliver a solution that will support names up to 179 characters, spaces and special characters.  The plan will be to remove these restrictions in file names, model names, features, parameters, Model Tree, dialogs, family tables, layers, toolkit, Unite and all other areas impacted by this limitation.

Regards,

Mark Fischer

Sr. Director, CAD Product Management

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

@mfischer This is great news.

I hope this limit will also be extended for documents in PDMLink.

LawrenceS
17-Peridot

@mfischer , Thanks for the update and good news!  I hope you keep this idea updated once you figure out which versions this will get implemented in.

LawrenceS
17-Peridot

@mfischer Mark, halfway through 2021.  Do we have a version of WC yet where this will be implemented?  

LawrenceS
17-Peridot

Also, for anyone interested, it looks like Creo4 ~2017 raised the allowable limit of Creo file names to:

mfischer
17-Peridot
Status changed to: Implementation In Progress

PTC understands the strong interest for this enhancement in Creo.  As such, the implementation for supporting long names, special characters and spaces is underway.  Our hope will be to deliver the support in a future release of Creo. 

TomU
23-Emerald III

@mfischer,

Is it possible to say which release you are at least targeting?  We were told back in 2014 that this was planned for Creo 4. Just curious how imminent this change really is...

I wonder if these comments were unknowingly prophetic.  Creo 10 perhaps???  😉

TomU_0-1651757244977.png

TomU_1-1651757469200.png

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

@mfischer 

And what about Windchill?  Making that change in Creo but not Windchill is useless.

TomU
23-Emerald III

@STEVEG,

Windchill already supports longer names and spaces for Solidworks files, so I don't think there are any issues there.