Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing small lines and circles

0 Kudos

Removing small lines and circles

I need to remove small lines and circles from big mi files which represent very big machines (over 600 metres long). I do not need these small elements up to 200 mm, which are not readable on a print (because of the scale 1:300, they are less than 1 mm long), and which make that the files are so big (up to 1.5 Gbytes uncompressed).

The command CLEAN_DRAWING CLEAN_DUPLICATE_GEOMETRY is somewhat useful but it is not really done for my need. Is that possible that PTC creates a new parameter for CLEAN_DRAWING, something like that :

(CLEAN_DRAWING)--->(REMOVE_SMALL_ELEMENTS)------------------------------------>|size|--->(CONFIRM)

|               |  |             |

|---(LINES)---->|  |--(GLOBAL)-->|

|               |

|---(CIRCLES)-->|

|               |

|---(ARCS)----->|

|               |

|<--------------|

This new parameter have the following advantages :

- Makes files really smaller and response time shorter (Load, store, print, ...).

- Makes print more readable.

- Remove detailed information from the drawings your are sending to other companies, it is more difficult to have your know how copied by ill-disposed persons.

I think that is it easy to make a new parameter to CLEAN_DRAWING, taking CLEAN_DUPLICATE_GEOMETRY as a base and removing the duplicate geometry function, keeping only the part which removes the elements smaller than the given tolerance.

5 Comments

I have a short question: How have the data been created? Are these data coming from a 3D solution or have they been created by Drafting?

Both, the data are coming from Modeling and from Autocad.

I don't believe that the solution you are proposing would be sufficient and helpful. Think about thousands of small line connected and removing them would great a large hole in your drawing. If you have to hatch an area where you are afterwards removing small elements, this hatch will also be destroyed. In your case, an extended merge of elements would be more what you need.

Berthold,

Yes it is helpful ! Removing these small entities does not give a big hole. There is no 10 metre  straitght line composed of small lines on that type of installation. Remember that the installation is over 600 metre long and scale is 1:300. It is composed of a lot of small machines, piping, vessels, building, .... The purpose of the layout drawing is to define the position of them and the general process, we do not zoom deeply. If there is any haching, it is represented so small that you cannot see that they are removed from the drawing. And we do nothing on this drawing after having assembled all what compose it, therefore, no hatching operation.

Remember also that I need to remove information not to be copied.

Gerard

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived