Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace by Copy should work for subassemblies

Replace by Copy should work for subassemblies

Replace by copy is currently only available for parts.  It is grayed out for subassemblies.  This functionality should be extended to allow subassemblies to be replaced with a copy.  When replacing a subassembly you should be given a dialog box similar to file, save a copy which lets you either copy or reuse the components of the subassembly.

6 Comments
Aquamarine

This is especially relevant to model based definition where a simple change could potentially un-place all annotations.

What you could do, for not loosing everithing:

Open the sub assy and make a family table with one member ( the new sub assy), do not save the original model.

Go to the top assembly, replace by the family member

Delete the family table in the original model

You're done

Marble

Another scenario comes to mind relevant to cabling:

I have an assembly with subassemblies A and B. Subassembly B has a Shrinkwrap of subassembly A (for cabling, Top Down Design, etc.).

If I do a Save As of subassembly A to subassembly C, and replace A with C in my top level assembly, the Shrinkwrap in B still points to A.

Garnet

One issue with the family table option. If you delete the family table the assembly that you swapped out in is still looking for the family table in order to pull up the new instance the assembly needs.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

BJP

I NEED THIS!!!