cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return ability to run two sessions of Creo Parametric and have each one attached to different workspaces

Return ability to run two sessions of Creo Parametric and have each one attached to different workspaces

In Creo Parametric 3.0 the functionality was changed so that when a workspace is changed in one running copy of Creo Parametric 3.0 it changes in all of them. This prevents the ability to compare two different versions of the same object without having to disconnect from Windchill PDMLink or backup and rename the old version.

3 Comments

Have not been on PDM for quite sometime... Currently we use a technique that is a cardinal sin in the PDM systems... We have a directory hierarchy

in order to manage versions... This does not resolve files sharing issues etc. that PDM systems allow, but I have found that it is hard to beat for managing versions... Rather than micromanagement of individual files, we just spin off another directory and change at will....At any given time I can go back to an old directory and retrieve any number of the versions that exist within that directory... If desired I can pull up two sessions of Pro, each set to their own directory and have any number of versions up independently at any time, with very little file management... Eventually we will delete unwanted directories... There are obviously limitations to this, but is this even possible in current PDM systems? What would one have to do to accomplish it...

At one point, years ago, before PTC started pushing PDM systems, one could open files in Pro-e with the "as stored" option... I do not see that option now if one is running Creo, absent Windchill... Amazingly simple... If opening .10 of a given assy, Proe retrieved every part, sub-assy etc.... at the version in which existed at that point in time....

Garnet

Confirmed that it is no longer working.  However, according to https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS131176, it is supported functionality in Creo 3.  So there is precedent to push for an SPR resolution.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged