cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Config Option for Start Model Templates and for Start Drawing Templates

0 Kudos

Separate Config Option for Start Model Templates and for Start Drawing Templates

The current option "start_model_dir" should be for just that, models.  There should be a similar option "start_drawing_dir" for drawing templates.  For our company, managing these separately would be more functional across the various organizations, and precludes the need for maintaining identical copies of template data in multiple locations.

4 Comments
BenLoosli
22-Sapphire III

We use a single network shared folder for all of your Setting folders like templates, materials, notes, formats, etc. Those items that must be in Windchill have a similar folder structure in a config library.

Why do you have to maintain these files across multiple locations with multiple copies?

One file, one location, everyone pulls in the same information.

gleonard3
11-Garnet

I'm way oversimplifying here, but let's say we want the whole company to standardize on a particular set of drawing templates regardless of the particular department's discipline.  But the Toaster Department doesn't ever need to see the Battleship Department's start template models when they create new parts and assemblies and vice versa.  So, as it stands, the \\Shared Folder\Battleships\<start_model_dir> and the \\Shared Folder\Toasters\<start_model_dir> each need a copy of the Company's drawing templates.

If we could point both Battleships and Toasters to a \\Shared Folder\<start_drawing_dir> for new drawings, and leave the <start_model_dir> individualized per department for models, that would be ideal.

BenLoosli
22-Sapphire III

Create a new part file uses the file pointed to by: template_solidpart.

Create a new assembly files the file pointed to by: template_designasm.

You don't get a choice to choose a start part file.

Toasters and Battleships can each have their own config.pro settings pointing to their own files. These files can still be in the folder defined by: start_model_dir.

In start_model_dir, you also have your drawing templates, with a default one defined by: template_drawing.

They do see all of the templates when they choose the one to use, or accept the default, but they do not see the start part templates in the same folder.

I have different drawing templates for 2 projects, by using the 3 levels of config.pro, I can control which is the default drawing template for each set of users.

The system wide config.sup and config.pro are in the <loadpoint>/text folder. The users have their own config.pro in their Start-In folder and I copy a project config.pro to the user's home folder every time they start Creo which is where I control the project level files.

gleonard3
11-Garnet

Well, I did what I said I did... oversimplified it.  Our configuration is set to give the user a choice, but to highlight the appropriate most common default.  When a new drawing is created, yes, the template specified as the "template_drawing" is highlighted, but we do have that list showing up (sounds like you don't, it's an option)... where all the standard sheet sizes for the Company standard templates appear and are selectable.  Similarly, for a new Battleship part model let's say... the "template_solidpart" template is preselected (highlighted), but we do want that whole list of selectable Battleship specific part templates to appear.  Anyway, I think we're coming at this from different worlds.  In our case, it would be advantageous to have this distinction between drawing and model templates.