cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Set default selection filter when using measure tool

Set default selection filter when using measure tool

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Energy. Product Designer. Large companies with large orders.

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
When opening the measure tool in a large assembly the performance drops significantly, and panning/rotating the model is painfully slow. As identified in CS307695. The best PTC has to offer on this bug is telling its customers to deal with it, as this has been marked as 'no plans to fix'. A workaround is not a fix. Changing the selection filter works, but takes time to open and find the desired filter. If you refuse to address the poor performance, at least let us set a default filter to use when opening the measure tool. If users need to change it from their set default, it is no slower than the way we all have to workaround this bug anyway, and if you require the filter that is selected as default then you save time on every measure command.

4. What is the use case for your organization?
Increased productivity

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Lots and lots of value, come on let's get a proper fix in place PTC.

8 Comments
lwestbrook
16-Pearl

Hi @Nairn 

Thanks for submitting this idea. Would you agree that this is a duplicate for this idea? If not, can you clarify what is different between these two ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

Nairn
8-Gravel

Hi @lwestbrook 

Thanks for your quick response to this post. While my post does talk on the same bug as the first, the difference is that I have proposed a possible solution that PTC could use to actually do something about this years-long bug. Allowing users to set a selection filter as the default for the measure tool .My proposed solution isn't great, however it's better than the sum of PTC's efforts to address this, a grand total of nothing; and the bulk of the work has been done for them, they need only implement this suggestion in order to make a great difference to the usability of their bug-ridden software. The first post has also gone ignored for years without the issue being addressed, with the only updates to the thread being other people also experiencing and complaining about the same bug, so another difference I hope to see soon is that this post may actually be seen by the development team, and a solution implemented.

I hope that clears up the differences. Many thanks Luke.

lwestbrook
16-Pearl

@Nairn Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that definitely helps

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @Nairn for your idea and @lwestbrook for the comments. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

We also changed the title from the initial one "Fix speed of measure tool in large assemblies" to what it is now. 

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I agree. 90% of the time we want to measure based on the selection of planar faces, 5% on cylindrical faces, and the remaining 5% on any other entities (points, vertex, edges, curves...). Currently we have to change the filter every time to planar faces, which is slow and time consuming, for we to have to repeat the filter selection, but also, we have to wait some time to be able to zoom, rotate, or simply wait for Creo to count all the possible entities near the cursor. We would like to be able to set the default selection to planar faces, and change it ony if we have to, unless PTC is able to speed up the current algorithm.

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

One of the solutions, would be to allow a progressive filter selection, with an hierarchy of preferred entities to choose from, ie, first only selection of planar faces, but let Creo respond (rotate, zoom, select, etc) and if we wait a little bit longer, we can select cylindrical faces, adding progressively more entities to be selectable, if we wait longer, then we can select edges, vertex, points, etc). And allow the user ro select the preferred order of entities selection on the progressive filter. So, the default filter would still lallow the user to select any kind of entity, but would respond faster to the more usual entity type selection. It would work similar to "Use time to draw frames" config option used to speed up drawing in complex models / assemblies.

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

Also, there should be filters to make it possible and faster to select edge midpoints, arc centers, or cylindrical surfaces implicit axis (as most of other CAD software do) instead of forcing the user to create temporary points or temporary axis (which is annoying and slow in complex models). We can create temporary geometry (ppoints, axis, planes, etc) to measure something, and if we keep the "temporary geometry" in the measure tool, and have to delete it afterwards, sometimes Creo will trigger a full assembly regeneration, which is also one of the reasos the assembly measure tool is very slow in assembly mode. Even though Creos measure tool is very detailed and allows to measure almost anything, it's very slow (in regeneration time, and user execution time) when trying to measure the most common things for lack of implicity selections (such as line midpoints, revolved surfaces axis, etc).

Nairn
8-Gravel

@S_Edgenear Since it could be years before this idea even reaches the to-do list of the development team; my work-around to currently allow me to set the selection filter by default is to add the filter selection clicks into a mapkey for opening the measuring tool (Recorded myself opening the measure tool, and then setting the surfaces filter). I have not been able to test this on my larger  2000+ part assembly, but the assembly I am working in at the moment does also experience a fair dip in performance when opening the tool, which this mapkey work-around seems to negate. If you are using surfaces to measure 90+% of the time, this may be a good (or the only) option for you at the moment until PTC can implement this behavior as a config option, or even better, when they address the performance dip altogether. If you are using other entities like edges, points, etc. you would still have to manually set the filter to those to combat the performance drop anyway, so overall this should be a big time-saver. Hope this helps!