Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarter handling of filenames

Smarter handling of filenames

Please fix my gripes with how Creo presents and processes filenames.

First, note how the system is inconsistent about the letter case of filenames:

You specify McMaster_94729A325.prt in the Save-As dialog box, and the system writes it to disk as mcmaster_94729a325.prt and it shows it in Windchill as MCMASTER_94729A325.PRT

In addition, in the status line and in the message log, they will show up sometimes lowercase and sometimes uppercase.

Gripe #1: When specifying a filename using wildcards, the file-open dialog only finds names in lower case letters:

troubles_with_file_open.png

I submit that in both cases, the file should be displayed.

This idea has been mentioned before: File Open Pro Engineer > Case Sensitive

Gripe #2:

Selecting the filename text from the message log could be a better time saver.  If you double-click on a filename shown in the status line, Creo will select the word and you are able to copy this text to the clipboard.  You can then paste it into the file-open dialog box.  I often use this method when assembling a component into an assembly in another window. But there are two minor inconveniences to this method:

troubles_with_status_lines.png

Refer to line 1 in the pictured status-line above: double-clicking on MCMASTER will select "MCMASTER_94729A235".  That is good, because you can the copy and paste this text to the file-open dialog box.

Refer to line 2 in the pictured status-line above: problem is that when double-clicking on word MCMASTER, the blue dot character will also be selected; so you have to delete few characters at the beginning of the pasted string.

Refer to line 4: A subtle problem is that the "." at the end of the sentence will also be selected.  So you have to delete the "." in the text "mcmaster_94729a235.prt." or the part won't be selected for assembly.

How about the filenames are always presented as in case 1 above?  (delimited by single quotes).

I realize that my gripes are minor, but they seem to be simple things to fix and doing so would improve the work-flow.

2 Comments
StephenWilliams
22-Sapphire III

I agree completely. Kinda sorta like Change files/folders sorting in File Open window but different enough to warrant a new idea...vote on this one too!!

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged