Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spin from center of screen

Spin from center of screen

Currently there are two settings for the spin center. "On" and "Off".  With the spin center "On", your model will always spin from this fixed point.  If you are zoomed in causing this fixed point to be outside of the viewing area, your model goes shooting off the screen.  With the spin center "Off", your model will spin from a piece of geometry or a point on a surface that is close to the position of your mouse when starting to spin.  The problem with this is that the geometry tends to be something far in the background, again causing your model to go shooting off the screen.  If you are in a large assembly with a lot off geometry it makes the problem that much worse.  Spinning in a manufacturing file with tool path displayed is also very difficult because a piece of tool path may be selected as the spin center, which again, causes your model to go shooting off the screen.

I would like an option added to spin from the center of the viewing area.  Therefore, your model will always spin from the center of the screen.  No matter if you're zoomed in tight or all the way out, your model will never go shooting off into space, eliminating the constant zooming in and out to get back to the area you're working on.

8 Comments
Sapphire II

Tim, Don't forget to vote on your own idea!!

I'm pretty sure that this is what you want:

spin_center_options.jpg

Just select the Reorient option at the very bottom of the named views drop-down:

options.jpg

and then change the Type to Preferences in the dialog box.

I've used this quite a lot over the years to fix the spin center to a point on the model so that when I'm zoomed in working on a particular area, it spins around the main point of interest.

Thanks for the help, but I gave it a try and it doesn't work.  I can set it to "Screen Center", but I click OK and then go right back into the menu and it's reset to "Orient by reference".  I even tried leaving the window open and it still spins from a piece of geometry.  Maybe it works in another version?  I'm running Creo 2.0 M120.

Hi Tim,

Yes, when you go back into the menu, it will be reset to Orient by Reference, but if you then go to Preferences, it should still be set to Screen Center.  The easiest way to check will be to zoom in and out with the screen center icon turned on.  It should stay fixed in the center of the screen, regardless of the zoom level.  Remember, you need to have the spin center icon displayed, otherwise it will rotate the model around the point where you clicked the mouse.

It's definitely not dependent on the version you are running.  This option has been around since pre-Wildfire days and I've checked it's there in Wildfire 4.0, Creo 2.0 M120 and Creo 3.0.

Allan,

Thanks.  I didn't have my spin center turned on, so now it does spin from the center of the screen as you said.  It doesn't work quite the way I was hoping though.  I didn't think about how deep into the screen the spin center is.  There is no compensation for that.  For example, if you are working on a 10" square block and zoom in tight onto one corner, that corner goes shooting off the screen when you spin because even though the spin center is in the middle left and right, it's 5" deep. 

I'm not sure how that could be overcome.  But thanks for the tips.

Great.  You're right about the depth problem.  As I said earlier, I've typlically changed the setting to pick a point on the model to set it as my spin center.  So in your example I would set my spin center to to corner of the block and then it will always spin about that corner.  It's really useful when you're bulding some detail into a particular area of the model, like a surface patch or something.  The downside is that you might need to change the spin center location a bit more often, but you can create a mapkey to quickly get you in to the Preferences.

Thanks for the help Allan.  Maybe PTC can come up with a ingenious way to combat the depth issue.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged