cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Symmetric pattern option

Symmetric pattern option

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.
Electrical connector design.  I am a CAD expert and work with our Creo users to get the most out of Creo.

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?
Creo 7

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
Sometimes a feature will be located on a centerline or the center of a larger part/feature and it is desirable to pattern out from that point in the positive and negative direction.  The direction pattern type allows for two directions but it is intended for two different directions, X and Y for example, and will not work properly if one direction is +X and the other is -X (you get duplicate overlapping pattern features).  It would be very helpful if there was an option for the direction pattern type to make the pattern symmetric or an option to pattern in the same but opposite direction.  See attached images of a simple example, today what is shown can only be done using a table pattern. 

See also this PTC article on the topic giving pattern tables as the answer: 

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS286085

4. What is the use case for your organization?
Most connector designs consist of a multi directional pattern of features.  At times these patterns originate from the center.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Time savings in Creo by avoiding the need for table patterns, which work but take more time then a directional pattern or the need for relocating the pattern leader to an edge of the pattern.

16 Comments
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

Add option to symetricaly add pattern entites when using direction pattern.

Sometimes position of initial entity is in center of assy/part and this creates problem when patterning.

sim.png

TimHansen
1-Newbie

I like this idea!  It would save the time of having to make it a relation driven pattern.  I can't tell you how many times I have made a relation like "((D_* 2) / (patern_qty - 1)).

jsparre
3-Visitor

Hi all

I would like to be able to :

• Make a symetrical pattern going to both sides of original feature.
  • Make a checkbox option in Pattern creation, to also copy colors attached to original feature.
  • Change the direction of a pattern following a curve.

/Jon

jwagh
16-Pearl

There are many times when the design intent for a pattern is where the original member is the 'center' of where all of the members should be. This is more for the directional/dimensional pattern type. Using mirror doesn't work well for a few reasons:

1 - the original member would be repeated twice

2 - mirrors don't always update and propagate well (especially with holes)

3 - mirrors prevent reference changes to the base feature.

Setting up a directional with a rotational pattern also doesn't always work well.

We would prefer to have a toggle where the direction of these patterns are simple - Direction 1, Direction 2, Centered (or uniform).

Thanks!

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I have already thought about this and indeed it would be really useful.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @zmiller 

for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

zmiller
14-Alexandrite

Thanks for the Acknowledgement!

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

I think this idea was already requested, and if the old one was not deleted, we should merge the two requests and add the votes.

Also, I think this is a very easy to implement feature and a very time saving for the end users. I also think the Table patterns allow any kind of pattern, but are very cumbersome and time consuming to setup, compared to a direction or even a sketch pattern. The problem with the direction pattern, is indeed the lack of extending the pattern both ways from a centered instance.

zmiller
14-Alexandrite

Thanks @S_Edgenear I agree with everything you have said.  As far as the same or similar idea already existing I didn't find one during my quick check but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, honestly I would be surprised if this hasn't come up before.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I didn't find one either.

I usually do simply symmetry using an axis pattern. Any thing more complicated I use a pattern table which can be perfectly symmetric, It works but it can be messed up pretty easy.

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

@zmiller @StephenW @olivierlp 

Here is one of the same ideas. I think I had saw another one. This one had already 36 votes, and aknowledged by PTC back in 2012.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Symetrical-patterning-directional/idi-p/455547

zmiller
14-Alexandrite

@S_Edgenear thanks for finding that, definitely the same request

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

Also another one of the same idea, this one more recent (from 2020), and this is the one I remembered I had seen. Had already 12 votes.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Allow-directional-dimensional-pattern-to-have-a-direction-of/idi-p/679516

olivierlp
Community Manager

Done. Thanks, @S_Edgenear for pointing this out! 

S_Edgenear
14-Alexandrite

Here is another post that had the same idea with 17 votes, but that was already archived.

This one also adds something that we also need and that is also a time saver, avoiding to have to do lots of manual labour intensive work, which is to Copy the colors of any patterned feature geometry, such as holes. In our case, we have to manually "paint" the holes surfaces according to customer colors. We can use the search tools to speed up surface selection, but this still has the problem that when the number of pattern instances changes, we have to manually paint the new geometry.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Pattern-enhancements/idi-p/468125

Olivier, could you also add these votes for the same idea? It's from 2014, but this only points out for how long the feature has been requested and needed by PTC customers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

I would like to be able to :

• Make a symetrical pattern going to both sides of original feature.
  • Make a checkbox option in Pattern creation, to also copy colors attached to original feature.
  • Change the direction of a pattern following a curve.

/Jon

olivierlp
Community Manager

Done. Thanks again, @S_Edgenear