cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ability to define "up to next" or "up to selected" for thread depth when defining shape of a radial holes (standard hole)

The ability to define "up to next" or "up to selected" for thread depth when defining shape of a radial holes (standard hole)

It would be convenient to be able to have the option "up to next" or "up to selected" when defining the thread depth on a standard hole as in some cases the hole is tapped through all the way. Up to Next.png

There is only a Thru Thread option (when hole drill depth is set to Through All) and Variable at this stage.

Alternatively, having a tickbox that will allow the thread to stretch the same depth as the drilled hole would also work.

13 Comments
BrianMartin
10-Marble

Seems perfectly reasonable!

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

This is currently a real pain when your tapping breaks out on an angled or curved surface.

Yes please!

JWayman
1-Newbie

I suppose the original intention was sound, because a thread cannot actually continue right to the bottom of a blind hole, for example. However, the specific example that Jonathan raises is an important exception.

SylvainA.
1-Newbie

Jonathan:

I do not know how it works in CREO, but in WF 5 the thread surface stops as the drilled hole does, whatever the shape of the end surface...

Thread end.JPG

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

You're right, that works in WF4 too for Through All / Thru Thread.

However, whilst the hole can be To Next, the thread can only be to a specified depth or Through All so if there is more geometry in the path of the hole, you cannot use this.

SylvainA.
1-Newbie

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean. (maybe a language issue )

Could you show me an example that does not work? Are you working with WF4?

For this hole, I use a up to next surface drilled hole with a thread depth higher than the thickness of the part:

Thread end2.JPG

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

OK - I've just tried this and it works as you say.

I thought that the thread would always display exactly to the specified thread depth, but perhaps I'm thinking only of Cosmetic Threads...

SylvainA.
1-Newbie

I think it was the case in WF3 and earlier.

ShigeruMatsuura
1-Newbie

This is also good for Linear Type hole.

WS000000.JPG

psobejko
12-Amethyst

I think the intent of this product idea is to avoid having to manually "manage" the thread length to be larger than the wall thickness; current implementation leads to having to check for the thread depth when geometry changes and also having to deal with an extra dimension when annotating a drawing...

I would only suggest that instead of having to select the option "thru next" and specify the end surface for the thread, user should simply be able to select the "Thru Thread" option (currently, this is grayed out when drill hole is specified as "thru next" or "thru until").

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged

mneumueller
16-Pearl
Status changed to: Delivered

delivered in Creo Parametric 8.0