Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Pro Program

Update Pro Program

Update Pro Program to be a scripting language that is a subset of Toolkit or Object Toolkit. Give us more functionality in Pro Program such as the ability to loop, more data types, ability to create functions/methods. This tool has not seen an update in several years.

12 Comments

Correction... This tool has not seen an update. Period.

I've always been frustrated by the lack of programming/scripting ability in Pro/ENGINEER. For years I used Perl in conjunction with the trail files and the message log to automate tasks in the application. However, over the years PTC has removed many messages from the message log... and made the trail files so hopelessly complex that Perl can no longer parse them for information.

There's no good way to create models via a simple scripting language. Your only options now are... Toolkit (hard to learn, licensing costs additional), Web.Link (good luck finding decent documentation), or J-Link. None of these are "simple" solutions. All of them require advanced programming knowledge.

Imagine AutoCAD without AutoLISP? Imagine replacing LISP with some object-oriented programming language like C#. No one would use it. Likewise with most of the programming solutions available to Pro/ENGINEER users.... few use it because few understand it.

PTC should look to the CV Medusa product they purchased as an example of an application with very powerful built-in scripting functions. In fact, the package was so powerful, it was used to create Routed Systems Designer (now Creo Schematics).

Pro/PROGRAM can... and should... be much, much better.

Moonstone

+1 from me, Brian!

Heavy users should have more flexibility in Pro/PROGRAM!

1. Syntax highlighting and automatic indentation for better readability.

2. Combined Relations and Pro/Program accessed in the relations editor

3. New Functions

Modern Logic (if, else elseif, endif, case, select, while, for, for next,.... )

Modern String manipulations (substring, trim, replace, indexof, length,....)

Feaure resume and suppress

FeatureResume("featurename")

FeatureSuppress("featurename")

I agree Joe...

In short... it needs a complete and total rewrite to be closer to something like Windows Powershell. We're not talking a full blown Object Oriented programming language like Java... but a SCRIPTING language that's readable, powerful, flexible, and can "touch" internal Creo features and parameters.

I don't think we're gonna see it... but I can dream!

Also add support for using regex (a.k.a. regular expresions).

+1 from me!!

I would like to see more in Drawing Programming, I think this is even worse.

Here here Raymon! I concur it's FAR worse!

I spoke to PTC during a corporate visit, it seems to me their strategy doesn't include 2D drawings. They spend a lot of time discussing 3D drawings, unfortunately our supplliers in many cases can't handle this.

I noticed in Creo 2 there is now a drawing tree, I asked them to be able to work with the drawing tree in a simular way to Pro/Program. They took some notes, but not sure how far it will go.

I hope these 'ideas' in these forums are seen by PTC and taken seriously. I am going to open one for Drawing Program, hopefully we can vote it up.

I have added idea for Drawing Program, pls help me vote it up:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1441

1. Syntax highlighting and automatic indentation for better readability.

We now use NOTEPAD++ (free software) to edit/view pro/program listings. I have created a custom syntax-language to show parameters/loops/comment/... in a color for better readability. Also, I can collapse different blocks in notepad++, like the ADD FEATURE block, and IF-ELSE-END IF blocks.

This syntax highlighting is easy to create, but if you like, I'll export my settings so you can import it.

2. Combined Relations and Pro/Program accessed in the relations editor

You get this in the pro/program editor. I think it's better to keep the relations window clean for people who don't use pro/program.

In addition I would really like to see the FEATURE relations in pro/program. This would make programming much faster and better.

3. New Functions

Modern Logic (if, else elseif, endif, case, select, while, for, for next,.... )

Yes, except maybe for the loops: these are potentionally dangerous. A little mistake can cause an infinite loop.

I also cannot think of a reason at this moment why a loop would be interesting.

If for any reason you need to regenerate a part twice or more times, you should take a look at feature relations and use these relations to update parameters while the part is still being constructed by creo. But look out for angles: there seems to be a little bug in feature relations. Angles are in RAD in stead of DEGREES when working with feature relations! Feel free to contact me for more information.

Modern String manipulations (substring, trim, replace, indexof, length,....)

Yes: very interesting addition!

Feaure resume and suppress

FeatureResume("featurename")

FeatureSuppress("featurename")

This is done with IF...END IF. If a condition isn't met, the feature will be suppressed.

Participant

I fully agree to all of the above ...... +++++1

ProProgram needs to be made much more versatile - it is prehistoric right now (perhaps it needs a complete RELOOKt).

Does PTC not want more users and Creo to be more popular ???

The essence of running a successful business is to be able to cut down the design and manufacturing time.

I have been using ProEngineer/WIldfire/Creo for the last 20 years in transformer design. We have used layouts (now notebook) in a big way to populate parameters in parts, assemblies and drawings. To be able to automate, I have struggled to put logic in notebooks, parts and assemblies because of the limited programming and data handling functionality available.

We have used excel with a VB user interface for data input and calculation of child parameters based on logic.

Then we have used a Java routine to create and transfer the values of parameters from excel into a designated file (in this case it happens to be notebook because then all the components declared to it get the data; but it can be a part, assembly or a drawing).

However, this is a very complicated mechanism. Logics in excel are nested and sometimes when we want to edit, the time spent is enormous. Also, any errors get lost in the recursive formulae. Further, the knowledge of excel, Java and VB becomes essential.

Now, that MathCAD Prime has been implemented, why can it not be made to interact with notebook so that we do not need any excel, java or any other language to manage the logic, input and the transfer of parameter values to notebook ???

I have been told that we are the only people around with this kind of requirement, but I simply fail to comprehend that nobody else uses Creo like we do.

To me, propagating the value of parameters to parts & assemblies via notebook is a very robust and clean method.

Years ago, Mike Campbell was here in Melbourne for a User's Conference. I had then discussed with him all of the above (except that MathCAD was nowhere on the scene). Since then little has been done by PTC to enable the above!

I hope PTC are listening and we get something happening !!

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged