Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update define drawing symbol user interface

Update define drawing symbol user interface

define drawing symbol user interface is very very old from Pro/ENGINEER 2000i version. It is not friendly and very difficult to use for our users, but this is a high used tool for  us.

18 Comments
Peridot

Fortunately I know the 2000i interface.  I was surprised that this was not updated in Creo.

Another "fit and finish" oversight to the ribbons.

Add ability to insert picture into symbol

Aquamarine

We use symbols extensively to represent ISO symbols where features can be turned on/off depending on the configuration. 

It is very painful process working with symbols because groups cannot be renamed, reordered, undo, or most importantly reused (identical configuration of a sub-group under different groups). 

Since identical sub-groups cannot be coppied, all the levels, names, and selections must be very tediously recreated again and again.  Graphical drag and drop interface would be beautiful, but I will take any method, as long as it can do it without having to manually recreate identical structures again and again!  This current method is time consuming and error prone.

Yes, this interface is indeed old and in need of an update.

We do plan to update it in a future release.

Aquamarine

Raphael, That is indeed good news!  When you say a future release, does that mean Creo3 or Creo4, etc?  Essentially about how long would it take before we might see this type of change implemented?

Right now we are targeting Creo 4.0.

Unfortunately we could not do this in Creo 3.0 due to other priorities.

(Obviously plans can change, but that's how it's looking today.)

Aquamarine

Great and understandable.  Thanks for the update!  Seeing your comments is encouraging that PTC is really trying to continuously improve their product based off of customer usage and feedback...so THANK YOU and keep up the good work!

Aquamarine

Guang Zhou, I don't know what PTC uses for a criteria to comment on ideas, but it does not seem to be based strictly off of the number of positive votes it has because the top 2 highest voted feature requests have 20 times more votes than some of the ones you listed yet they do not have a single PTC rep comment on them.  I don't understand this. 

Raphael, perhaps you can shed some light on why some ideas get commented, and why others do not, even when they have A LOT of support from other users on the forum?

The 2 I am refering to have well over 100 votes:

Support multi-CPUs(processors) for model regeneration action in Creo

Use Tabs for open models/drawings in Creo (like in ProE, IE, Firefox, Chrome, FoxIt pdf viewer, etc)...

Are you sure to add this functionality into Creo 4.0? But It seems this is not available in Creo 4.0 beta

Aquamarine

All 3 ideas that I found that are similar and would be great inclusions to the new UI:

Update the Symbol Sketcher     (5590)

symbol creation - insert image in symbol       (1225)

Symbols creation and editing new User interface.   (1620)

Hi Raphael Nascimento,

As I test, this is not available in Creo 4.0 B000, will be available in Creo 4.0 F000??

Hello,

I'm sorry to report that this idea was unfortunately not able to be implemented in Creo 4.0, so we will have to consider it again when we come around to planning our Creo 5.0 release.

Anyone who has tried the Creo 4.0 Sneak Peek and has access to the group PTC Creo Sneak Peek can see all the great work we've done with supporting updated standards (ASME and ISO) and overhauling the UI and capabilities of Dimensions, GTOLs, Datum Feature Symbols and Datum Targets. Unfortunately we couldn't fit the symbol UI overhaul in with all of this other work.

If you would like access to the Creo 4.0 Sneak Peek - just send an email to - and request access.

Thanks,

Raphael

Aquamarine

General improvement Wish list (although hopefully stronger than a just a wishing well!) for Symbols for PTC to consider can be found at the below link.

Drawing Symbol Interface (UI) Improvement functionality list for PTC

All are invited to edit this document to add improvements that they want for the Symbol Editor / Creator User Interface (UI).

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Sorry everytbody but, still no implementation in Creo 5.0.2.0

Can't wait to see this functionality and old UI stuff updated!!

Gravel
Gravel
Status changed to: Under Consideration

I definitely would like to be able to address this functionality in the future. It is on our road-map