Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User defined UP direction when using 'View by Face'

User defined UP direction when using 'View by Face'

When using 'View by Face' I would like to request a manual option for defining an UP Direction, if required.  Often the default view is fine, but in some cases, the default view is not appropriate.

11 Comments
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

There is a setting in the Viewport Settings menu which allows you to control the behavior of "View by Face". There are options for:

• No Change
  • Global Z-Axis
  • Global Z-Axis -Minimal Rotation
  • According to Face Geometry

However, even with those options, I would agree that manual control of the Up Direction would be helpful. Maybe there is a different "View by Face" command which has an option to specify the Up Direction. Or maybe there is just a command to specify the Up Direction of the view (keep the same view direction but rotate about the center).

ptc-1796640
1-Newbie

Thanks for the tip on View by Face options in the Viewport Settings.

AndyPoulsen
5-Regular Member

Actually, the commands to rotate the viewport while keeping the same view direction already exist, so you can add them to your context menus, etc: 

In the customize menu, select the "View" group and then scroll through the list of commands -- about 2/3 of the way down, you'll see a bunch of "Rotate VP ..." commands that should do what you want...

I hope this helps!

andy

--

Andy Poulsen

AI MAXTools: Dream. Design. Done.  It's That Easy!

www.ai-maxtools.com

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

Andy,

The commands to rotate the viewport are only 30, 45 and 90degrees. I would like to see more flexibility. I could create custom commands to add more angles, but instead of filling up a menu with every angle between 0 and 90 degrees, I'd like to see the ability to just specify the up direction, just like I can do when creating a drawing in Annotation.

BarryCritchley
1-Newbie

Hi Andy, thanks for the details, however this option does not quite cover the scope of the request.

If i have a square housing that is modeled in-situ, it is fine whilst assembled, but at part level it does not necassarily lie in a user friendly orientation (i.e. 3.14159265 deg from horiz). 

However, if it it is possible to define the up direction, I can view the part in a more friendly orientaion.  I have attached a few screen grabs below that i hope clarify the reqeust:

Two parts created on same WP:

View-by-Face.PNG

View By Face on the right hand part returns the following view:-

View-by-Face2.PNG

I assume that this is because it's horizantal/u direction has been be defined by the wp with which it was created? 

I think that Peter has summed it up best -  "... [woud like the] ability to just specify the up direction, just like I can do when creating a drawing in Annotation"

BarryCritchley
1-Newbie

PS - i also believe the Shift/CTRL and MMB allows you to rotate the VP around a point - but only dynamically.

AndyPoulsen
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the additional information regarding what you would like to see.  I took some time last week to put something together to add to our toolset that I believe should do exactly what you want. 

I'd love to have you try it out and see how it works for you, and especially find out if there are other things we can do to make it even more useful. 

If you'd be willing to take a look and see what you think, please email me at andy [at] ai-maxtools.com and we'll get you set up.

Here's a quick video (if it works!) of what it does:

[EDIT] video didn't embed properly -- see below for link to the video on youtube.

Thanks!

andy

--

Andy Poulsen

www.ai-maxtools.com

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

Andy, your video did not show up.

AndyPoulsen
5-Regular Member

Yup, sorry about that.  There was no preview available, and neither video format I tried worked on this forum. 

So we'll try a link to the video (very basic, without any audio) on our youtube channel:

http://youtu.be/x2XJjASbUxo

Again, if you'd like to try it out, just let me know and we'll take care of it!

EDIT: One other thing -- even though the video only shows selecting directions in the display plane, any direction can be selected, and will yield the expected results.

Thanks!

andy

--

Andy Poulsen

www.ai-maxtools.com

BarryCritchley
1-Newbie

Hi Andy,

You have exactly captured/resolved the nature of my enahancement request.

I appreciate that this is part of your ai-maxtools suite, and appreciate the efforts that you have gone through to address this...  however, it is unlikely that the customer who has raised this issue will install an external product (at cost), for this issue. 

This is no reflection on your tools/cost, i have seen the suite in action, and think it's a comprehensive and very usable set of tools...  Unfortunately, for this customer, i think that he wants to see PTC being a little pro active and responding to a relatively straight forward request for a function in the base product that he believes has been 'missed out' as opposed to a new function.

All efforts are appreciated though.

Thanks

Barry

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived