cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When pro_note_dir is set "Note from file" should start there.

When pro_note_dir is set "Note from file" should start there.

Today when you use the "Note from file" the start directory is the wrokspace/work directory, instead of the directory set in the pro_note_dir.

To get the pro_note_dir you have to click on the "Note text Directory" folder under common folder to get to it.

99% of the time you whant a note from the directoy not a note saved only in the workspace.

Therfor the "Note from file" should start up in the pro_note_dir.

2 Comments

I spent quite a while trying to figure this out as I thought that's what this config setting did...

Combine this with an another idea for an additional external 'Note from File' command (not contained within the Format tab after creating a note) and it will go from being quite difficult to add standard notes to very easy.

The current process is

1. Click 'Note'. from the Annotate Tab.
  2. Guess at the size of the standard note and Place the Note (no option to place from another corner like tables). See first image below.
  3. Click 'Note from File'.
  4. Even though the pro_note_dir has been set, it opens your Workspace. Most people get lost here as people almost NEVER have txt files in their workspace...Click on the vague 'Note Text Directory'.
  5. Double click the desired the standard note.
  6. Readjust as the standard note was likely put in the wrong spot.

Place Note.jpg

Proposed Optimized Method:

1. Click the new external 'Note from File' from the Annotate Tab.
  2. The standard notes now appear with the corrected pro_note_dir listed in this product idea. Double click desired standard note.
  3. Just like Symbols, the note previews on the screen before placement. Place note correctly the first time.

Proposed Additional Placement Options to make Mapkeys work well with 'Note from File' placement:

1. Click the new external 'Note from File' from the Annotate Tab.
  2. The standard notes now appear with the corrected pro_note_dir listed in this product idea. Double click desired standard note.
  3. Pick Absolute Coordinates
  4. Pick new additional option for Lower Right corner. See image below.
  5. Type coordinates in and hit enter. You can now place 'Note from Files' perfectly with Mapkeys as there's no good way to do today...

Note Placement Options.jpg

Side note: I use the current Note>Note from File command so please do not remove this functionality. I use this to make dynamic cell data become static text with mapkeys (or PTC could add a button to make data static...) or add standard notes to selected cells.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged