Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to toggle hide geometry while in sketch

Would like to toggle hide geometry while in sketch

The extra geometry displayed while in sketch is very confusing.  It would be quite helpful to be able to toggle hide the geometry while in sketch.

Sometimes you do need to view the geometry while in sketch as in setting up references, but most of the time the displayed geometry just gets in the way.

The CAD software we are replacing allows toggling extraneous data out while in sketch.  It is much easier to work in this type of environment.

8 Comments

As a workaround... assuming you're referring to being able to see the model behind your sketch, you can use layers to 'hide' it while sketching.

If, for example, you have Pro/E set up to put all solid entities onto a layer called "Solids", you can simply hide "Solids" (using a mapkey if you want it to be quicker) then unhide that layers once you're done.

Amethyst

very good idea! I like it to be able to choose to just concentrate on what is active now at the very moment!

Functionality-wise it would be like 'solo' in a music mixing application - every track has this button - so a button like this just besides 'Sketch Orientiation' and 'Display Dims' etc..

Visitor

Through our training in Precision LMS it is very evident that toggling extra information means something to the instructors as every single exercise they tell us to toggle on or off specific datum type features.  We ignore these instructions as most of the time these specific features do not get in the way.  On the other hand when there is a myriad of geometric clutter it is very much of a struggle to not make mistakes within the sketch.

Sometimes it helps to see something done well to recognise what certainly could be improved upon.

Visitor

Here is a side by side comparison.  The left view shows a toggled sketch, the right shows a Creo sketch.

SketchCompare.jpg

Visitor

I am still learning Creo.  Today I tried hiding layers to remove the clutter while in sketch only to find that I could not layer hide the main imported feature; so it appears that layer hide under a lot of circumstances for us would not even be a viable option.

Layers in Pro/E don't necessarily work the way you expect... typically, adding a solid feature to a layer lets you control visibility of datum features (such as axes) generated by that feature.

Surface features can be hidden in this way; however, if you RMB through the selection options (Query Select in old money) when adding features to a layer, you should eventually find a feature called SolidGeom - if you add this to a layer and Hide the layer, all solid entities vanish.

We use this a lot when working with surfaces - you can hide the solid model to work on a set of surfaces; or group the surfaces into various layers to work with only one set of surface features at a time.

HTH!

Visitor

There is a lot of work potentially involved with reconfiguring layers to hide everything even without issues of knowing how to hide everything.  Then when you jump out of a sketch you have to unhide everything you already hid.

In the software we are migrating out of it is so simple to just toggle geometry on or off.

Yesterday I talked with an engineer who uses several other CAD softwares than what I use.  He was incredulous that Creo does not allow you to toggle hide geometry while in a sketch.  This is so simple to do, yet so effective.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived