Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like tree item for shrinkage in base package

Would like tree item for shrinkage in base package

It is possible to change shrinkage by scale in Creo's base package but it does not leave a tree item for the change.  This is potentially quite dangerous to make a change to shrink as there is no record in the feature tree showing this change taking place.  You can end up with an unintended size without having a clue in why the model got to this size.

The tree item for shrink was removed from the software; this function was possible in Wildfire.  You can still see the shrink feature when you retrieve a Wildfire created part into Creo.  I've attached how this shows up in Creo's feature tree.  I would like this functionality returned to Creo as this potentially could lead to very costly mistakes.ShrinkageInTree.jpg

9 Comments
Dale_Rosema
Sapphire I

You may want to vote for your own idea

And also this one:  http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2713

Thanks, Dale

dgschaefer
Topaz II

Many years ago when I working at a mold shop doing tool design in Pro/E, there was more than one way to add shrinkage to a part.  One added the shrinkage feature, the others did not.  All of them had to be done in the mold package.  None of them changed the actual size of the design part (unless you resumed the shrinkage feature).

You can scale a part in foundation level Creo (as well as Pro/e as long as I've used it), but it's a one time change.  All features get rebuilt to the new scale.  It has always been this way, you can not create a shrinkage feature without the mold package.

dellens
Visitor

Doug: My attachment appears to counterdict your statement??? I have a model opened in the base package of Creo.  I did not build this model, but we received this from a gentleman who built this model in the base package of Wildfire.  The feature shows up in the tree exactly how I would like it to.  You can perform an edit to the value, you also know exactly what shrink you are using.  Since this appears to be quite possible as it was applied, I would just like this functionality back.

dgschaefer
Topaz II

I'd verify with them how the shrinkage was added. 

When we'd add shrinkage by scaling in the mold package, this is how it would appear in the model.  You could edit it in the model without the mold package but you could not create it.  I'd assume that he sent it to molder (or designed the mold himself) who used the Proe / Creo mold package to create the shrinkage.

dellens
Visitor

The individual that developed the feature tree you see does not have ProMold.  This feature item transfers well into Creo.  I'd just like to be able to do this myself in Creo.  I'll quote what he replied to me when asked about this.  Evidently early Wildfire didn't allow this and they reverted back to removing this.

It'd be a real shame if they left that out and went back to scaling only like years ago. You never knew if the part had been scaled or not and by how much.

dellens
Visitor

Very good idea Dale; I voted for your suggestion.

dgschaefer
Topaz II

I'd love to know what version of WF and how he accessed the command.  Not that I don't believe you, I just never knew it was possible.  I've used Pro/E & now Creo since 1996 and have never seen that feature outside of the mold package.  If it existed, I'm curious to know.

dellens
Visitor

I'm certainly confused in regards to why things are the way they are in this instance.  It does appear that a license of Mold was necessary in order to add shrink to the Part model I received from someone who uses Wildfire.  He did not use the Mold interface for building his models, I am of the understanding that he only has the base package yet I see no other possibility for it being created without the Mold package.

I have gripes with the way this currently is:

1) I don't understand why it is necessary to have the Mold package to include a shrink feature in a part model history.  This is such a simple thing for the software to include; it speaks of great greed from PTC to force people to buy another package in order to be able just see that the model was scaled up.  For crying out loud!!!

2)Even if this was absolutely necessary to include in the Mold package (which is beyond me), PTC goes the extra mile to add confusion in making the interface completely different for adding this feature.  When building a Manufacturing/Mold Cavity the Shrink feature is found within the Modifier tab.  To add this within a part the most obvious thing to do would be to look for the Modifier tab within the Mold Cast application inside the part.  This is not there so to add the Shrink feature at all is certainly not obvious.  To find this you have to go outside of the part you are working on to go to File/Prepare/Model Properties and find the Shrink tab.  Without someone pointing this out to me I would not be able to find this on my own.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived