1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders. We design and manufacture high-end electronics. I am the CAD Manager / PTC SME. Stakeholders for this idea include our Creo user community.
2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running? 184.108.40.206
3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.
ANY organization which uses Windchill and wants to start calculating mass properties via mass_property_calculate is going to have this problem. The issue itself isn't with the Windchill integration, but with the fact that Creo flags submodels of an assembly as modified when mass_property_calculate is set to Automatic, ONLY in specific scenarios.
If we have an assembly pulled from Windchill and turn on mass_property_calculate AUTOMATIC, the assembly only gets modified - which is good! Anything submodels won't be flagged as modified. Great! EXCEPT!...
Any model that is brought into session AFTER the initial load. For instance:
1 - Some of us have a config to load in base models into session along with the model itself. Therefore, parts that use forms - the formed models will flag as modified! Parts that have merge features - the source model will be flagged as modified! (then flagging the downstream parts as modified).
2 - The generic of the object loaded in session will be flagged as modified, which will flag all instances as modified!
3 - If you make a simplified rep of the assembly, erase from session, and then bring them back - they will also be flagged as modified; even if they weren't before!
This is a administrative nightmare. The only solutions forward are to:
1 - Update 40+ years of legacy data to avoid the issue - not going to happen.
2 - Let conflict windows popup for all users and have them manage this issue in their workspaces until this is going to be fixed - Not going to happen.
3 - Give up on using the tool the way that it was intended and use a workaround (analysis feature in footer) - the only possible solution.
Please have this addressed, because there really is no way to use this functionality designed as-is for a company that has legacy data in Windchill.
4. What is the use case for your organization? Our organization wanted to start tracking mass properties in Windchill and we couldn't use the tool as it was intended due to this issue.
5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization? This would allow us to get the necessary data from the cad to the downstream teams to allow for proper material analysis, procurement strategies, competitive sourcing, weight, etc.