Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modelcheck: Allow ModelCheck reports to be added as an attachment to Windchill

modelcheck: Allow ModelCheck reports to be added as an attachment to Windchill

As a request by @lwestbrook, I am breaking up the massive Modelcheck idea thread here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/New-ModelCheck-Ideas/idc-p/692247#M13722

For this idea have ModelUpdate reports to be added as an attachment to the CAD Document in WindChill automatically. Preferably, just the last one.

8 Comments
lhoogeveen
Pearl

I think this was implemented in Creo 6 using the new XML reports? The 'What's New' documentation doesn't link to the related help documentation.

jwagh
Pearl

@lhoogeveen You are correct. However, the issues with this implementation are:

• The XMLs are dumped in a user's working directory with no other option to a different location if you set MC_EXPORT_XML_XSL_REPORT to Y.
  • This idea is specifically so that managers and downstream teams can quickly review modelcheck REPORTS from Windchill before approving promotions. They can not review XML files.
  • What is the use case where XML files would be useful to attach to a windchill document? Is there some tool that can generate metrics from the attachments in Windchill cad documents? I'm confused about this one.

Thanks for the comments!

lhoogeveen
Pearl

I haven't tested it yet but this is how I understand the functionality:

• MC_SAVE_XML_REPORT_TO_WC - If set to Yes, the XML report is saved to the Windchill 'attachments' section - I'm assuming to CAD Objects attachments
  • MC_EXPORT_XML_XSL_REPORT - If set to Yes (default), then single XML file created. Single file allows for easy attaching to Windchill CAD Objects. According to the help documentation, it seems like this XML report is visible in most browsers except Internet Explorer.
  • In your promotion request, you'd probably want to create a custom view to view the "attachments" column. However, in Windchill 11.0 M030, the 'attachments' column is not available. Here's a somewhat related idea to make the attachments column visible from the Windchill Workspace -https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill-Ideas/Windchill-Workspace-and-CAD-Search-Results-Add-Attachme... that maybe needs to get expanded beyond the workspace. So you're stuck manually navigating to the attachments tab for each CAD object to view the XML report.
jwagh
Pearl

@lhoogeveen 

I upvoted the idea. However, you can still 'easily' see attachments via the thumbnail navigation column. When you hover over the thumbnail you can see attachments in the related information section:

jwagh_0-1603125310315.png

I would suggest you test the XML config.init settings. They don't really help us. The MC_EXPORT_XML_XSL_REPORT dumps the XML file to your working directory no matter what you have set for MC_SAVE_XML_REPORT_TO_WC. The MC_SAVE_XML_REPORT_TO_WC doesn't help either because reading XML doesn't really help humans :).

lhoogeveen
Pearl

Using Creo 6 and Windchill 11.0 M030, here's what I got when I set both settings to yes and then checked the file into Windchill. Seems a little strange but the CAD File needs to be checked in or uploaded for the attachments 'download' button to appear to launch the report. To view within the Creo embedded browser, you probably need to use this setting: windows_browser_type chromium_browser

ModelCheck - New Creo 6 XML Report in WC.jpg

@lwestbrook Looks like these new ModelCheck XML report settings don't automatically handle when a file has been renamed? The MC report from with the old file name seems to stick around.

jwagh
Pearl

@lhoogeveen 

OK. It is starting to make more sense. The problem:

• this requires chromium_browser, which is an issue as a lot of functionality only works with ie_browser (including the view plugin in the details page)
  • The xml gets dumped to the working directory, no matter what, even if I set MC_COPY_XML_REP_TO_MODEL_DIR to N. So what is MC_COPY_XML_REP_TO_MODEL_DIR for?
  • Like you said, renaming the file causes the legacy xml to remain in the attachments.

lhoogeveen
Pearl

With MC_SAVE_XML_REPORT_TO_WC set to yes, Creo is also dumping these ModelCheck .p.xml report files to my working directory. 🤔 I would prefer Creo just saves it to your workspace attachments only. Just more junk Creo files to purge later.

To view these ModelCheck .p.xml report files from Windows File Explorer, drag them over to a new tab in Chrome, Edge, etc.

@jwagh I don't see MC_COPY_XML_REP_TO_MODEL_DIR in the Creo help?

jwagh
Pearl

@lhoogeveen 

It isn't. The only article is: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS310123?&language=en&posno=1&q=MC_COPY_XML_REP_TO_MODEL_DIR&...

I got this clarified yesterday. This option is if you are NOT working in a windchill environment and you are just using a typical folder structure, this config.init will also place the xml file in the source location of the model (in addition to the working directory). Nothing we can do about the working directory at this time.