cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Set Datums" should be hidden by default when placing a new view on a drawing.

"Set Datums" should be hidden by default when placing a new view on a drawing.

When placing a new view of a model on a drawing, if that model has any set datums, those planes and tags are automatically shown in the view, and the drafter must then select and Erase unwanted ones. On a large model with possibly hundreds of planes distributed among its components and subassemblies, this erasure can be time consuming. The only workaround is to use layers with collection filters for "Shown Datum" (see https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS131258), but logistics or standards may prevent this from being a practical workaround.

Possible solutions:

• Allow placement of the view with no set datums visible, then show/erase them the same as every other detail item within the Show Model Annotations dialog box (change existing functionality and consolidate behavior in a single dialog box)
  • Allow placement of the view with set datums automatically Erased, and let the drafter Unerase the ones they require in a given view (reverse of current behavior).
  • Create a config.pro or detail setup option that allows drafters to toggle this behavior (enhance current behavior with a configuration option)
    • e.g. auto_erase_set_datums yes/no* - yes: set datums are automatically erased when a view is placed/no*: set datums are automatically shown when a view is placed
33 Comments
Visitor

I see that a moderator "acknowledged" two months ago. Should we dare to hope? I'll add another bump just for the heck of it.

Sapphire II

Welllllll, the whole "acknowledge" thing was part of a mass push to get PTC to formalize a process for the Ideas system.

I still have hope that one day...

Sapphire II

It's that time again...gotta show the datums that never quit...I had just finished selecting them all for erasing...fyi, that is a 563" (14315mm) tall structure (750,000 lbs) hidden behind all those datums.

datums.jpg

Visitor

I don't think they appreciate how time-consuming it is to hide the datums in such a large drawing. Perhaps your 5-hour video of datum-wrangling should be required viewing for all PTC programmers.

Sapphire II

Just another bump to push this one out for more votes! I have no hope of an effective resolution!

While you are at it, vote for the one that pertains to model datums that show thru no matter what.

Re: On/Off on "set Datum" (Datum display filters)

Sapphire II

I spent the last couple of days working on a large assembly drawing. I had to load the drawing probably 4 or 5 times due to one reason or another. Every time I opened the drawing, some (not all thankfully) of the datums would magically re-appear on the drawing. It's infuriating to have to delete the datums again and again. Just to be clear, I first turn off the layers that contain the bulk of the datums. Unfortunately I am not in control of all the models so I can't fix the layer datums on all the parts. Also, "new set datums" created that can't be controlled by layers. But most importantly, let's not forget that for some reason, PTC has decided that datums at any and all levels show by default on every drawing that the parts/assemblies are shown. NO ONE EVER said "I wish all the GD&T set datums from all the piece parts and assemblies of my large assembly would show up on my top level drawing" NO ONE EVER!!!

Why would set datums show by default on all levels of drawings. Following that logic, why would anyone really want anything showing by default? NOT PTC...all other model items are shown only by using the show commands ie dimensions and axis. But for some reason they decided to follow a different rule for set datums. 

Sapphire II

Bonus post...I needed to make a quick and simple change (rev 08) to an 6 page drawing (customer interface drawing). The last person who made revision 07 was very studious and thoroughly reviewed the drawing to make sure none of them sneaky datums showed up unexpectedly but little did that hack (aka...me) know, PTC outsmarted the crafty guy and they knew they could get them datums on his drawing due to their "show by default" rule for set datums.  

SET DATUMS SHOULD NOT EVER BE SHOWN BY DEFAULT, FOR NO REASON EVER!!!

Look carefully, Datum B is ruining that view...several times...some arbitrary piece part datum is showing it's datums on my top level drawing!

sneaky-datums.jpg

Just to put that view in perspective of the drawing, sheet 2 of a 6 sheet drawing, full of customer interface details. Just imagine how many datums had been erased along the way already, over and over and over again. Every time someone changes or adds the sub-levels parts/assemblies that has datums.  3000+ items in this workspace and this drawing uses simplified reps to remove as many internal components as possible, not because of datums, but because these large assemblies sometimes get to the point they won't open. When it gets bad, I'm sometimes waiting an hour for the drawing to let me make the next click (usually save and then exit because of some odd model issue i need to fix so i can work reasonably)

sneaky datum overview.jpg

Sapphire II

I forgot to take a screenshot this morning of the 10 datums that were on my drawing. You say 10, that's not so bad. I agree except, I had already deleted/erased those datums. But, due to some unknown reason, they are back, probably because the parts changed since they are datums of 3 or 4 or 5 or more levels deep piece parts in my top level assembly. 

Why do I need sub-level datums on my top level assembly? Well I don't and pretty much no one does. So why do datums show by default???

WHY DO DATUMS SHOW BY DEFAULT??