Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save assembly parts and drawings

save assembly parts and drawings

i would like a feature like solid works "pack and go" where all the assembly parts and there associated drawings can be saved together. similar to save backup, but now when i do a save backup the drawings do not copy with the parts.  why would you not want backup of the drawings, they just as much work or more to create.

13 Comments
mender
6-Contributor

For those of us unfamiliar with SW, could you describe the desired functionality?  It sounds like it might be 'this assembly, all components of it, and any drawings in memory that have any of these as a top model', and then any models generally implied by any of those, would be saved to the destination.  Is that accurate?

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

From what you said you are backing up the assembly.  I assume you are doing this through Creo since you used the term Backup?  Creo won't export the drawings because that is not the top level.  Creo will only export what it needs to open the object.  The assembly does not need the drawing.  But the drawing DOES need the model.  Open the drawing and use the backup and it will export all the models.

StephenW
23-Emerald I

chris martin

Don't forget to vote on your own idea!!

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Nevermind.  I re-read you post and you want to export ALL RELATED drawings.

Do you have PDMLink?

TomU
23-Emerald III

"Gathers all related files for a model design (parts, assemblies, drawings, references, design tables, Design Binder content, decals, appearances, and scenes,and SOLIDWORKS Simulation results) into a folder or zip file."  (2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Pack and Go Overview)

"This great tool automatically finds all of the referenced documents and saves them to a folder or a zip file.  Hence it is only useful for files that references other files."  (http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/03/pack-and-go/)

• Selecting “Include drawings” will also grab all drawing files associated with all selected assemblies and parts
  • Choose “Include simulation results” and/or “Include decals, appearances and scenes” if required
  • All referenced documents are listed in a Nested View (similar to the Design Tree), but you have the option to change to a Flat View
  • The check boxes beside the files can be deselected to exclude specific files
  • Option to save all files to a folder or automatically compress into a zip file
  • Ability to add a prefix or suffix to saved out files (shown under “Save To Name” column)
  • “Flatten to single folder” will throw all files in the main directory that you are saving to.  Unselecting this option will recreate your current folder structure within the new folder.
cmartin-3
1-Newbie

we don't have PDM.  that would make everything easier.  also the assembly i am working with now has different drawing names than the part.  i read that this has problems too.

i am looking for not just the assembly drawing but the drawings for the parts as well to be copied.

i do have the option "rename_drawings_with_object" set to both so when a part is copied the drawing is also.  thou it didn't work with the backup.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

That options only works if the model (.prt or .asm) is the same exact file name as the drawing.

mender
6-Contributor

Would (could) the drawing(s) in question be in memory?  In memory, it is easy to check for drawings that employ any of a list of solids.  Looking on disk for models that reference other models (here's my part, what assembly assembles it? or here's my part, where is its drawing of arbitrary name/location?) is more of a PDM function.

If the models to be saved can be found in memory, I think it's feasible.

TomU
23-Emerald III

I think it's highly unlikely that the drawings would all be in memory.  A simple job may have hundreds of drawings associated with it.  There would probably never be more than 10 in memory at a time.

Based on the SW pack and go need to have folder and/or file paths defined, I'm guessing they simply check each drawing file for it's list of dependencies.  If one of them is already included in the models being exported, then also include this drawing.  This would prevent the need to have them named the same or in memory.

RadovanMíček
14-Alexandrite

Hi all.

We are using our AV ScriBatch Tools with Batch-Backup functionality.

Here is a sample video.

jkuhlman1
2-Guest

Great idea. I agree. All drawings related to the part or assembly should be carried with a back-up.

Let's take this a step further. Integrate the drawing into the file of the parts and assemblies. For example, if you have a .asm file, when it is opened, you simply click different tabs to choose the assembly or the drawing. Two files become one and if you have the part file, you automatically have the drawing. If the part/assembly is associated with more than one drawing, then provide the ability for more than one drawing.

cortes-annecy
3-Visitor
And add an option to keep the version number extension during this process
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.