cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

table with repeat region in 3D

table with repeat region in 3D

Hi,

in optic of MBD, it was useful to have the capabilities to create some table in 3D with Repeat Region (with the same capabilities of the 2D)

table.jpg

22 Comments
DaveMartin
16-Pearl

I would love this for cabling, which is heavily dependent on tables.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Under Consideration

PTCModerator
Emeritus

Mfridman
15-Moonstone

FTrowitzsch
3-Visitor

This Functionality is very important to have the ability to use MBD in assembly-lines/assembly-stations without drawings. Currently the drawing is still necessary because of the BOM-Table and BOM-Balloons. Therefore this request is also affecting Creo View, which should also support this functionality by using the pvs/pvz-export.

Maybe a splitted view with the Model on one side and the BOM-Table on the other side can rout to a useful solution.

BTW: we use Component-parameters with our BOM-Tool (Toolkit) to save the position-numbers or other parameters permanently to the model. The Component-parameters can be used by notes with the syntax &POSITION:att_cmp, but unfortunately not for custom-symbols.

2019-06-26 10_57_47-ASM0001 (Aktiv) - Creo Parametric.png

rbaldwin
4-Participant

Why has this not been implemented yet ? CREO7 and still no ability to create Tables in model annotations. extremely disappointed

YY_8922822
13-Aquamarine

Complementary operations are also needed: exclude from BOM, Phantom and envelopevcomponents, since not all items in the assembly are included in the production process.

JavierL
7-Bedrock

would be awesome to auto generate find numbers as a 3d annotation set in addition to a BOM repeat region without having to create a 2d drawing

DF_8546982
3-Visitor

PTC Please do this, I have been struggling with Manufacturing Engineers complaining to me as I'm the only MBD certified engineer at my facility. I am currently thinking of ways to create a custom symbol, maybe by creating a custom parameter that is pulled from Windchill, but if PTC would just create repeat regions in MBD and add the table tab it would be soooooo much easier and much appreciated. 

slandge
7-Bedrock

Hi @Mfridman 

#2. We working on MBD and are facing a lot of challenges in pulling out Revision history and BOM.

Pulling up table in to Part mode is a challenge. (Revision Table, Color Part Table )

• We created a symbol Table by using line command, which is a challenge. Then pulled up the symbol table into part mode 
  • Added notes to the table flat to screen in the combination state.
  • After saving the part --- > check into Windchill and reopening the Part the notes are moving a and merging in other cells
  •  After opening in Creo view also its the same case 
  • notes_flaoting.JPG
  • TABLE.JPG

"So we need 3d annotation to include table functionality (with symbol type)" - what do you mean when you say "with symbol type"

• We need Table Functionality in the 3D mode (MBD).
    • Which will allow to Add Rows and Columns ,Merge cells
    • Repeat Region Functionality
    • In Assembly mode able to add balloons from the table . Able to generate BOM  
  • Other software's like Solid Works, Solid Edge everyone is providing this functionality 

#6 point 

So regarding the balloons request. do you really feel that is really required for MBD?

What you say I agree, Real time examples 

Example :- But when we export it to a PDF and exploring the details on the downstream (Shop floor) for the person working on machine will be difficult

Vendor/Supplier- need to figure out the part in the TDP which is share with him and discuss with Engineer and GSS person 

- If we do a exploded view to highlight all the parts in the assembly is much needed.

ballonCapture.JPG

Right now I am creating table using Notes not sure if its a right process and weather it will sustain. 

Need to align the columns a lot 

Notes added :-  @[and @]

@[REVISION@]@[Approved_By @]@[ DESCRPTION @]@[ Date (day-mo-yr) @]
@[D @]@[LANDGSJ @]@[Combination for the chang @]@[ Date (08-12-2021 @]

note table Capture.JPG

bbrejcha
12-Amethyst

Im excited to see this thread.  I wonder If anyone is willing to make a google document or running list of missing functionality with respect to MBD? 

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com  

slandge
7-Bedrock

Hi @Mfridman

Wish you a Happy New Year...!!!

It is regarding the table functionality to be available in the 3d Part / Assembly Mode. I had a posted my comments a year back but trying to follow up to understand if we are really considering this scenarios and do we have a timeline defined for this functionality to be available for everyone to use  

Not having this functionality is a show stopper for the MBD/MBE (Digital thread across the organization) 

Having a simple table will also help

When I was typing my requirements in the comment I could see table functionality are available for this post too and not available in Creo

It will be good have a simple table like this 

slandge_0-1672731817427.png

GENERAL MBD TABLE PLATFORM-- Choosing where new tables should be created
-- Resizing table columns or rows to content
-- Adding semantics from table rows to model geometry ability to add
-- Manually supporting movement or updating movement of table
-- One click update of table contents (where the contents are not parameter based)

-- Able to add rows and columns for the table
-- Adding Text Note in the Cell
-- TABLES CREATED WITH TEMPLATE
-- Copy paste table from one combination state to other combination state

TABLE TYPE: REVISION HISTORY TABLE 1
Inserting Symbols in the Cells
- Merging of cells of the table
- Merge Rows
- Merge Columns

Auto BOM ballooning to the parts in the assemblies after generating the table

Good Have

- Auto BOM ballooning to the parts in the assemblies after generating the table

- Parameters for the Parts
- Parametric BOM table for assemblies
- Assign parameters to the Cells and Populate Cell Information

- Adding Windchill link of the part to track the revision and updates
- Adding link of Specification Documents in the part chart (Specification Present in Windchill)

Mfridman
15-Moonstone

Hi @slandge ,

Thank you for summarizing your requirements.

I have one comments about the request to be able to add semantics from the table to model geometry (surfaces): The way I see this, table is not defined as an annotation that carries semantic info like geometrical tolerance or a dimension. as a matter of fact there are also no specifications about tables in MBD in the detailing standards. The standards describes tables only for drawings.

I believe that tables are essentially a container of information that organizes the data in a tabular form. This means that the rows/columns themselves are not the one that needs to be assigned with semantic references. 

I believe that the main requirement/use case here is for someone to be able to highlight some geometry/surfaces/other annotations when selecting a specific table row/column/cell in the table. This is mostly a use case for human consumption of the data. at least for now.

Please confirm my understanding

As it goes for the timing for introducing tables for MBD, this enhancement is indeed being considered for implementation.

At this point in time I cannot provide a hard commitment for a specific release, however I can say that I hope to be able to introduce it in the short term. It will not be included in Creo 10, but possibly in one of the follow-up releases

Best Regards,

Michael 

AW47500
2-Guest

Hi @Mfridman ,

In my experience the use case for tables is different than your example of "...highlight some geometry/surfaces/other annotations when selecting a specific table row/column...".  Our primary use case is when tackling an MBD TDP where we need to detail wiring harnesses, piping, and similar which are normally handled within a drawing table.  This cannot be done with current annotations.  Additionally, we have seen TDPs with the requirement to present a BOM (not a model tree) in a presentation state.

V/R,

Mfridman
15-Moonstone

Hi @AW47500 

Thank you for your feedback.

Indeed there are many different kind of use cases for tables, my example above was just one of them.

Regarding your use case of wiring harnesses/piping etc. - may I assume that in this case you are currently doing that using repeat regions (instead of manual tables)?

AW47500
2-Guest

@Mfridman ,

Correct, using repeat regions.

Mfridman
15-Moonstone

Thanks for confirming @AW47500 

PrebenJ
4-Participant

Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

1. What product and version are you running?
Creo Parametric 9.0

2. What is the problem?

As for 2D drawings you might want to add a table in a view but that only possible through a symbol which is time consuming to set up

3. Are you using a workaround? If yes, please describe it.
Create a symbol for each table needed

4. What is the use case for your organization? Describe how your idea would work in context or how it would apply to a practical situation.

In the active combined state just click to add a table - define it as in 2D and place it 

5. What impact does this problem currently have on your organization? (Number of users affected, hours of lost productivity, etc.)
Make the work on 3d drawings more effecient

achirila
Status changed to: Clarification Needed

Hi @PrebenJ!

Thank you for publishing your idea.

However, you give the bare minimum of information. The more details and context you give to document your idea, the better. Think about ways to educate and convince other Community members to support your idea and present your case to the product management team for consideration.

Here are a few examples of well documented ideas:

Make Shrinkwrap quality more scalable to data size... - PTC Community

Improve/fix the sheetmetal mirror feature - PTC Community

[Eztol] Rename action not synchronous in Eztol - PTC Community

Please elaborate within the next two weeks.

Additionally, I invite you to check out this topic where PTC executives explain product managers' approach to customer ideas and input for product roadmaps.

PrebenJ
4-Participant

I did a more explicitly search on the topic and found this:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/table-with-repeat-region-in-3D/idi-p/491179

This is more or less what we want to achieve as well

So now I guess that I'm off the hook 

achirila
Hello,

This idea has been merged with another idea from user PrebenJ.
The votes are combined.

Thanks for your participation!
slandge
7-Bedrock

@Mfridman 

Greetings...!!!

Hope your doing good...!!!

Sorry for the late reply, was away from this for a while. Adding my comments in Blue 

I have one comment about the request to be able to add semantics from the table to model geometry (surfaces): The way I see this, table is not defined as an annotation that carries semantic info like geometrical tolerance or a dimension. as a matter of fact there are also no specifications about tables in MBD in the detailing standards. The standards describe tables only for drawings.--

• Agree with your point but the Manufacturing team who operates on the shop floor needs to consume the information to manufacture a part. 
  • Having a Semantic table will always be a value add which will help to analyze the part or assembly very easily and review meeting will be very easy using PTC tools like Creo View and Creo Parametric  

I believe that tables are essentially a container of information that organizes the data in a tabular form. --- >

• Hundred percent right and also provides the Product manufacturing information with links to the Standards and Specifications  .
  • Information about the parent and child parts like 
    • Raw Part and its different colors (Colors can be 10 to 20 also . So table is needed to add all this information on a MBD part )
    • Raw part with Specification, - Material , Colour, etc 
    • MBD Assembly - If Table is provided in assembly mode - Balloons can be generated which Quality and Supplier vendors can see that information 

This means that the rows/columns themselves are not the one that needs to be assigned with semantic references. 

I believe that the main requirement/use case here is for someone to be able to highlight some geometry/surfaces/other annotations when selecting a specific table row/column/cell in the table. This is mostly a use case for human consumption of the data. at least for now.

Please confirm my understanding  ----- >

• Consumption of Data is important inhouse or when it is sent to suppliers. 
  • Revision Table to track what has changed in the present revision and earlier release is important for the people who are working on the shop floor 
    • Teams like Buyers, Manufacturing Quality , Tooling etc. When they export Creo Parametric data into creo view they will need see all this  information to consume the MBD data and manufacture a part on the shop floor 
  • Highlight the surface or geometry will be too good and you will save huge manual efforts and Users will be happy to use PTC products extensively 

As it goes for the timing for introducing tables for MBD, this enhancement is indeed being considered for implementation.---

• We are waiting for this functionality to be implemented as this become a show stopper in our organisation for MBD 

At this point in time I cannot provide a hard commitment for a specific release, however I can say that I hope to be able to introduce it in the short term. It will not be included in Creo 10, but possibly in one of the follow-up releases

Michael we are moving to Creo 10 and we will be happy to have this functionally in upcoming version that will be helpful not for our organization but for all the organisation world wide. Looking forward to this 

Regards

Sandip Landge